EJR Beads

Author Topic: Selling at fairs - disheartening  (Read 15100 times)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Re: Selling at fairs - disheartening
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »
Thank you ladies!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »
Great news, Peter.  I hope your sales go really well.  Fingers crossed for ya! :-)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
Peter and Angie, it's good to hear you both having good sales.  It was starting to sound a bit depressing out there.

Mel  :)

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »
Sorry Mel! It's no fun hearing such disappointment but fear not like I said to Pete, one way or another I will get people to part with their money! Muhahaaaaa  ;D ;D ;D

I'm actually considering cancelling my August fairs & just enjoying the time off to make new stuff. It's looking more n more like a good idea lol  ;D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »
Sorry Mel! It's no fun hearing such disappointment but fear not like I said to Pete, one way or another I will get people to part with their money! Muhahaaaaa  ;D ;D ;D

I'm actually considering cancelling my August fairs & just enjoying the time off to make new stuff. It's looking more n more like a good idea lol  ;D

You go girl!!  :D

Mel  :)

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Great advice Peter although as a customer I don't like the hard sell technique, I do try to speak to every customer even if it's only to say Hi are you having a good day.
Sometimes when I see a lady wearing a nice piece of jewellery I will comment on it and that starts a conversation which i can then lead on to my beads/jewellery.
You can generally tell the ones who might buy and those just looking. I do try to be as friendly and approachable as I can though.

northstarcherry

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »
Peter's selling techniques sound really useful! I'll have to try those out when I get the chance  ;D

I actually had my first ever craft fair in April and I must say it was very disheartening :(
I had only made fairly small items of Jewellery so the prices were only inbetween 5-10. I was there for about 5-6 hours and although I was receiving lots of positive feedback on my pieces, no one was buying anything.

I remember one customer specifically as she picked up one of my necklaces and said how lovely it was, and she then left stating it was too expensive and I actually heard her say to her friend that she was going to Primark to buy jewellery instead :(
I was quite shocked and a bit upset that she had chosen to buy something mass produced in China instead of a unique handmade piece that would have cost the same price  :-\

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
northstarcherry Wow what an insult! To be honest my sister-in-law would be like that lady! Going to primark even though she Ooo's n arrs over my work.  ::) Very annoying so I understand. I get the same at craftfairs too, lots of people stop say how wonderful it all is then walk away!!  ::) Maybe we are fishing in the wrong pond?!  ;D

Peter

• Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
I get it al;l the time too....." Isn't your stuff lovely, I hope you do well!"....and then they wander off. If they wanted me to do well that much they would buy something!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

northstarcherry

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
I had a lot of 'wanderers' too  ;D
I think you're right about fishing in the wrong pond! One of my friends had made these gorgeous cupcake brooches from copper wire and resin, and she had a few people saying
' what are these?'
 'Oh it's just pointless abstract squiggles you know what art is like'  then wandering off..
despite the fact they were clearly cake shaped and also labelled 'cupcake brooches'  ::)

Selling online seems to be much easier than in person! Especially if you're quite shy like I am  :-X
I think you kind of have to jump in there and tell them about what it's made of or how you made it ect before they disappear! If they know more about it they might consider buying it  ;)

Peter

• Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »
I think you kind of have to jump in there and tell them about what it's made of or how you made it ect before they disappear! If they know more about it they might consider buying it  ;)

Definitely!!!  The number of people who have said "how do you paint the designs on the beads?" They are always amazed when I explain that my beads are all clay and show them the Millefori technique.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
Or "how do you get the holes?"

This one sort of makes sense for polymer clay beads. But when you have finished explaining how a lampwork bead is made to someone and they still ask that, you do have to stop and indulge in a momentary head-slap.

The one saving grace with explaining the Millefiori technique is that we live in a nation of people who understand the concept of sea-side rock. Without that analogy I think I would have given up explaining it years ago and just said "I use a really tiny paintbrush!"

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Jules

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »
Or "how do you get the holes?"

This one sort of makes sense for polymer clay beads. But when you have finished explaining how a lampwork bead is made to someone and they still ask that, you do have to stop and indulge in a momentary head-slap.
Emma

Bit OT I know and honestly a true story....I spent quite a while explaining lampworking to two ladies. One then picked up a nearby bead and asked if I'd made it. I explained that no I hadn't and that particular bead was a lava bead. They looked a little blank so I added that it was just like pumice and was from from volcanic activity.
They asked again if I had made it. So I said 'no, its from a volcano.'
One said in absolute seriousness.'I suppose it would be dangerous to have the lava in the shop.'
I started to laugh and was about to tell them about the hatch in the floor with the long handled scoop that goes to the very centre of the earth but thought better of it and went and made some tea instead....