EJR Beads

Author Topic: Mess Up & Fess Up Thread!  (Read 53171 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Mess Up & Fess Up Thread!
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
Well,

It seems that from our interesting chat about newbie galleries, another - far better - idea was born. Thank you all!

Atomix's brilliant name sums it all up perfectly. This will be a thread to show your goof-ups, your experiments that went wrong, your projects that came out so-so.

Why? Well because we learn so much from our mistakes, that's why. Also, I think it is great for newer clayers to see that in polymer clay we are always experimenting and trying things out and lots of time, we are just finding out what DOESN'T work!

So use this thread for:

• showing off disasters and experiments that didn't work
  • showing off things you think just came out ugly

But more than that - use it for exploring what went wrong with your fellow clayers. Use to get ideas on where to go next with the idea to turn it around. There is no point us messing up and fessing up without us all learning from it afterall!

I think we will just keep this as a long-running thread and if it starts to get too long or cumbersome, we'll start a new one.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

rubyrube

• Carol
Re: Mess Up & Fess Up Thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
I wanted to use up old canes and ones that I was not keen on, so I made a bird.

The mistake that I made was not to support the wings whilst it was in the oven. They did not come out the same way that they went in, they had collapsed and the cocktail sticks were showing and were totally ruined. After they were removed they left really rough areas, which I could try cutting off, but felt fed up at the time so it was banished to the rejects bin. I did think about doing some more, but I didn't have any of the same cane left and wasn't sure what to replace it with.

Oops, went wrong by rubyrube, on Flickr

So, lesson learned is to support, support and support, and maybe don't use all the cane (which was the idea!).
Carol

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:07:22 PM »
Awww Carol, that's such a shame, because except for the sticks sticking out it looks wonderful!!

Mel  :)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
You should win a prize for being first up!  :D :D

I like him though...wings or not!

Jules

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
Aw poor flightless bird - pretty cane combinations though.

I dont have a pic but...I had to fulfil an order for a batch of wrapped extruded string beads in a varied lime green colour palette. What should have been a very simple subtle blending of colours turned into just a dull yellow nastyness. I also used the thinner hole extruder plate than my usual and just had an enormous twisty pile of unusable stringy yellowness.
Disgusted I shoved the whole lot in a tub to ignore.

About a week later my daughter called me out to my desk ooing and aahing over something.

She'd been rummaging for something to give as a present to a friend - found my pot of yuk and was amazed that I could make cheese string just like the cheese string advert.

I said I could look up the character and make a proper one for her. No. Her friend also likes fish fingers. Could I make a fish finger with cheese string hair?

The answer is yes I can. But there are not and never will be pictures.... :-[

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »
ROFL Jules - its amazing how in polymer clay "one man's meat is another man's poison!"

And Carol I think the bird is lovely - you should certainly try to make him some more wings one day. He has such a great face it would be such a shame not to finish him up.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Jules

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
ROFL Jules - its amazing how in polymer clay "one man's meat is another man's poison!"

Emma

Or, One girls cheese string is another girls fish finger?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
I hope you make some more wings one day, Carol, because he is so pretty - even with his sticks!

Love the cheese string story!

Must remember to take a pic of something I did which should have been really lovely  ::) ;D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
LOL Jules, I would have loved to have seen that!

Mel  :)

lottie

• Lotties Artful Journey
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
What brilliant stories.  I  have forgotten how to put a picture up on here otherwise I would show you the latest of my 'mess up & fess up' of which there have been many.

I attempted my first image transfer on polymer clay - with a image cut from one of Lisa Pavelka's waterslide transfer sheets.

Rolled out the clay, cut out the image,  wet it slid it onto the polymer clay - easy peasy - or so I thought.  Gently smoothed and wiped it, but it left marks so I cut off the excess leaving just the picture and a very small 'frame'.  Then came the messing it up bit.  I used liquid sculpey to seal it, but it came out with a whoosh and was rather thick - so tried to smooth it out.  - You can guess where this is going can't you.  The more you try the worse it gets, so it had another coat and I left it to even out - and had lots of it around the little polymer clay tile.  So I baked it - and cut off the edges when it was cooked.  I was quite pleased with the fact that you could see the image clearly -  until I put my glasses on - and bah humbug - it actual picture was spread too! Never mind - it's another learning curve, and I will try again.

Other mess ups I have achieved this week were to make some lovely little fishes which I was really pleased with (for a change) but as I put a silver ring through the hole I had made the top broke off.  It happened to all of them, no matter how carefully I tried to do it.  I super glued on the 'noses' and they look fine, but I don't know if they'll stand up to being worn or used for key rings.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:31:23 PM by lottie »

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »
Lottie, what a shame about the fish!  :(  If it makes you feel any better, my first few transfer experiences where pretty much the same as yours!

Here are a few of my disasters!  The first one was a double whammy as the cane was meant to resemble a lotus flower (something I was attempting for the Egyptian challange that some of you will remember).  Needless to say, it didn't, so I dicided to turn it into a kaleidascope cane, which did not improve it's appearance in any way.  Anyway, what you see in the first photo are my two very first attempts at swirly lentil beads.  And yes, they are as flat as pancakes!!!  ;D ;D

And this next one is my attempt at monuke gane.  LOL!!  What was I thinking?!?!  ::)  I still haven't quite mastered that technique yet.

Mel  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
Jules, fish fingers with cheesy hair sounds fun.

Lottie, thats sad when things break at the last stage, but at least you managed to salvage them to a point.

Mel, the colours were spot on the the challange and you can see the petal shapes. Although it didn't work as you intended, I think the cane is good. I also like the red and gold of the MG, I know what you mean about mastering the technique, its a bit hit and miss for me.
Carol

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »
LOL Jules @ cheesy strings!  ;D ;D

Carol - The bird is beautiful, it really is, is there no way you can repair the wings? It really doesn't deserve to go in the mess up bin! ;)

Mel - Lol at the flat lentils! The colours in them though are amazing, how did you get that blue? The Mokume Gane is also really good I don't see why you don't like them!  :P

Lottie - I haven't even tried image transferring yet but it does look do effective. So hope next time it goes well!  ;) ;D

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »
Mel, all i can say is . i'm going to brush my teeth.

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
OK here are some of mine

The striped 5 piece neck thingy i made the hole for the jump rings right on the center but then the others i put them in the middle so now they flip over. So then i added the little dots on the back to try and weight them down- Didn' work .

Then there are the marbled black & white links with the blue pearlx centers - butt ugly and too fragile most of them broke.

And the round silver thing was moulded from a metal bezel blank i try to silver leaf it after baking but couldnt get it to stick to the baked clay Gave up

The orange and whites tiles aside from being ugly are all miss cut and differen sizes and the white on the reverse striped side yellowed badly , I baked it on a metal sheet. This was one of my first attempts when i was coming up with my tile bracelet procedure.

the corn turd what can i say - it dosent look like it in the pic but it is almost burnt  the yellow really looks brown. and the pin / pendant back is so tight you cant wear it as a pin - and its very jabby to wear as a pendant and bare skin.

the 3/4 cuff bracelet, I wanted to tread with streachy cord or a toggle closure i baked on a curved surface with the buna cord inside and when i went to pull it out it broke. I think is was regural strech cord and not buna

The translucent boxer pendant with crackled gold leaf - the ink ran so now he looks like a zombie and i burnt the edge off when i was buffing on my machine

and finally the bad egg all misshapened and made out of muddy colored lizard tales that were just randomly mushed on the egg. also it is glazed with something that to this day is still sticky . i think it is rotten.  ;D

MESS UP FESS UP by jembox, on Flickr

The picture is bigger if you click on it and goto my flicker page
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:30:41 PM by jembox »