EJR Beads

Author Topic: Ceramic Beads?  (Read 10297 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Ceramic Beads?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
Under and over-glazes are usually "paints" to go under or over a glaze that would be applied separately.   

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Completely confused :s  So a glaze is transparent?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »
They can be transparent, matt transparent, opaque, shiny, textured....you name it!

An ordinary china plate is glazed, often white shiny. 

An underglaze colour - or "paint" - would not usually be used under an opaque glaze.  An overglaze colour - or "paint" could be.  This technique might be used where you want to paint a design onto your piece.

Colour might come from just a glaze itself.  This is usually applied as a thick liquid to (most often) a biscuit-fired piece, before re-firing at a (usually) higher temperature to melt the components of the glaze.

If you are making beads I imagine it's easiest to buy ready-mixed glazes.  There are lots of effects you can get with these.   I don't think you'd be able to mix different ready made glazes together but I didn't use them myself - it might be possible - the manufacturers would say so if that was the case.

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 01:53:49 AM »
Do you recommend any particular brand of glaze or any online shops where glazes can be purchased Carrie?  You may have to PM me any links. :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
No, overglazes are just that  - colours that go over the glaze. Different to the regular glazes.

You'll do your noodle in trying to understand all the different glaze types in one go so I would stick to just using regular brush-on earthenware glazes at first. So those are glazes of or around cone 06 (don't confuse with cone 6 glazes which fire much hotter)

Yes you can get both matte and shiny finish glazes in 06

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »
Have you considered going to an adult leisure class aka evening class?  If you did you might get an idea of whether you want to do it :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
Thats a really good idea - I did pottery classes a few years back which got me to a basic understanding in ceramics. Its a good way to learn about firing, glazing and so on.

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »
Ditto  :)
I also did it as my main subject at Teacher Training College and didn't really learn anything useful....though I did learn that a pottery wheel just leaves you with a load of mess - didn't find out that it didn't have to until many years later  ;D

A kiln is such a major expense.....though of course it can do other things - annealing lampwork, enamelling, precious metal clay,  slumping glass, glass fusing...don't know what temps you need for some of those though...

Hmmmm...beginning to wish i hadn't got rid of my ancient one cubic foot kiln....... ???

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
That's what I love about the Caldera kiln. I think it was originally designed as a small test kiln and can actually go up to porcelain temps, although I don't really want to push mine that far. But it really is a little workhorse that can do everything.

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
.....I must not be tempted......

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 04:23:17 AM »
I was looking at the Amaco Velvet underglazes. You don't have to glaze them if you want a matte/velvet finish, they go glossy with a clear glaze over them and you can mix them to make your own colours. There's too many glazes...I want all of them! Anddd....a few colours in a set won't do, I need alllll of them! :|  I'm going to be skint! Haha! I love the look of the Amaco stone glazes too. Gorgeous colours!  Laguna do amazing glazes too but they're all in the US. So cheap but the postage and customs would be huge!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 03:02:51 PM »
I'm not really into the look of the underglazes myself, but they are great if you want to add colour or do more painterly techniques. I'm just not very good with them probably.

It doesn't matter how many glazes you have, you still want more. And then you get into making your own glazes instead a whole new universe of chaos and fun opens up!

Emma

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 03:16:08 AM »
Well...I did it and am now seriously addicted to ceramics...so much so that I haven't touched polymer since, although I am missing it. I'm now addicted to buying glazes! Thought I would show you a few of my sets...trying the underglazes next with a liner pen, gonna draw on the clay, looking forward to it!

Artisan Whimsy Hooters Owl Ceramic Necklace by Grubbi_, on Flickr

Ceramic Beads & Pendants by Grubbi_, on Flickr

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
Wow!!!  Loving those!!    :D :D :D :D

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:15 AM »
<<<<<<picking self off floor>>>>>>>>>>>

WOW oh WOW!!!!!!!!!   Fantastic!!   You are SO clever - what an amazing result!!    Well done!!  etc etc etc   ;D