EJR Beads

Author Topic: Button shanks  (Read 7848 times)

Linda

Button shanks
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
Does anyone know where to buy button shanks, metal or plastic, here in Europe?   And, does anyone know if the plastic shanks can survive the oven?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Button shanks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
Sorry Linda - we ask that members don't make "where can I buy" type requests, (more details in the rules / guidelines section)

But that said, I haven't seen any for years anyway - and those I did see were pretty poor quality and overpriced. Maybe if other members know of any good sources, they will send you a private message with the details.

I wonder if you could just use cheap plastic buttons and cover those, or embed them into the clay then glue them into place after baking? Or even cheap metal ones? That would work even better I imagine.

You could also maybe create a wire loop to embed into the clay as a shank?

Also, with buttons - the shank needs to be able to survive the washing as well as the oven, so thats another consideration when making buttons. I think this is why most of us tend to make the sew-through type of buttons, there are less of these problems to worry about!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Linda

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
Sorry,  short memory.
Thanks anyway for info.   

Porro

• Flick
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
Button shanks are not good solution for buttons, IMO. I´ve sold buttons made out of clay for at least 15 years and the ones that usually brake are the ones with any type of metallic/plastic shanks.

If you make caned buttons you can do button shank with clay to the backround: turn the button so that the best side faces table, put needle on top of that and cover the back with fresh clay about 2 mm thick. Push together, remove needle, bake. That works for better in most of the cases as long as the clay is strong enough and both the cane and the shank clay is fresh.

HTH

nienja

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/nienja_dreams/
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
sorry but first a question cause my translation doesn't know it..............
what are "button shanks"
nienja

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
Nienja, if you google "button shanks" you will get a clear explanation - but basically a metal or plastic ring that sticks out the back of the button. You sew the button on using the hoop as opposed to through button holes.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »
What Bev said!

Also sometimes it can be quicker to google a term and then press the "images" tab as you will get loads of photos of the item.

Emma

nienja

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/nienja_dreams/
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
thanks!!n now I understand!!  there are no holes in the buttons!!

Linda

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
Porro.....thanks for the tip

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
I make a lot of buttons....with shanks!

I use the metal button blanks that are often used for upholstery use.  The usually come in 3 parts; the face, the 'clip in' backing, and the shank which is sandwiched in between.  I usually (having learned from experience...) omit the backing, using only the face and the shank.  Using the backing makes the button heavier and makes it easier for water to sneak in.  So I fill the back with polymer clay instead and texture with sandpaper or some such thing.

These are easily available on Ebay (can I say "Ebay" on this site???).  Search for 'self cover buttons' or 'metal self cover buttons' or that kind of thing.  If you wish I can pop a few of mine in the post to you for you to experiment with. :-)  Just message me, or email me at elizabeth@elizabethcampbell.org.uk 

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »
Useful info Elizabeth - thanks for that  :)

Be careful about putting your email in posts. Spammers use software that trolls through forums looking for email addresses. If somebody wishes to give their email openly in a post, it usually gets done something like:

joeblogs at joesmail.com (so people know to use the @ symbol) or by leaving spaces between words: joeblogs @ joesmail . com - as you can see in both instances neither "shows" as an email link. Another way is:

joeblogs@nospam.joesmail.com & telling people to remove the "nospam" bit  ;)

Apologies if you are aware of all this - not trying to teach anybody how to suck eggs, but I know there are some people here for whom this is their first experience of forums so may not be aware of potential problems   :o ;D

Just trying to help peeps lessen the chances of getting caught  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
Very good info - thanks for the reminder Bev.

I am always putting my email here there and everywhere and then wondering why I get so much spam!

Very useful info on the buttons Elizabeth - thanks for that.

Emma

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »
Duh!  Thanks for the reminder, Bev...

rubyrube

• Carol