EJR Beads

Author Topic: Lack of time?  (Read 3410 times)

luna

Lack of time?
« on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
I have a dilemma. I love to sculpt, but I don't have much time.  Every figurine I make, takes me for about three to four hours to be completed. So I always put my project aside and waiting for a day I will have just about enough time to finish my work from top to bottom.

What do you do when you find yourself in such a lack of time? Do you finish your work as much as you can and just leave it until some other day, you will have time to finish? If so, how do you store your unfinished work? Or do you finish, let's say, just a part of a figurine (like body for instance) and bake it, then finish it some other time?

I apologize if my questions are a bit weird; I'm a beginner here and would love your advice. I have a lot of ideas, but so little time to realize them...

Thanks in advance.

Petra

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
Re: Lack of time?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »
I make what I can and then cover it up and leave it for another time when I can finish it.  I just leave it on my desk covered with a sheet of baking paper but you could cover it with or put it in a container or if you have a dedicated oven you only use for your crafts leave it in there.

luna

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
Thank you, Fiona. I do have a small, portable oven just for my work, so I can use it for a storage, too.

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »
What do you do when you find yourself in such a lack of time? 

Hi Petra,

What I have done all too often in the past when I've had a lack of time is to continue working, faster, only to make mistakes that wouldn't have happened if I'd actually set the item aside to work on another time! Duh! ::)

So, I try to be more disciplined these days and remind myself that the better solution is to set the item aside and work on it again when there is time to do that.  Sometimes the work can be planned so that you can get to a certain stage, bake the piece, and then go on to the next stage when the next opportunity arises.  Sometimes it's better to store the work unbaked.  I store 'ongoing' projects in plastic food containers or wrap them in cling film.

I do find it a bit frustrating sometimes to put an unfinished piece away when I think that if I just work a bit longer, and harder, and faster, it could be finished.  But experience has taught me that the 'quickly finishing off of a piece' seldom, if ever, results in good work....  And in fact, there is another good reason to set the piece aside to work on later:  Sometimes that distance of time allows us to see the piece afresh, and we come up with new ideas on how to finish the piece...

Eliz

kscottcrafts

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
When I make wedding cake toppers which can take a few days to complete, I do them in sections and bake them, then use liquid polymer clay to attach the unbaked parts to the baked parts.

luna

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
Thank you all for advice. I really never thought about liquid polymer clay, so I'll try it out. Thanks, kscottcrafts.