EJR Beads

Author Topic: Best Variety of Clay for Small Details?  (Read 3182 times)

Castaras

Best Variety of Clay for Small Details?
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »
I'm wanting to get back into Polymer Clay after having left it for a years, and I'm wanting to create small polymer clay pieces - partly because they're cheaper, partly because I have little patience for grandiose massive projects, but mostly because I like making miniatures.   ;D

So I have a few questions, keeping in mind that I'm in the merry grey land of England so need things that are able to be found here.

- What Clay brand would you recommend for miniatures and detailed pieces? I'm wanting a clay that can be reasonably firm, but my hands are very teeny tiny and don't keep heat well, if that helps with clay recommendations...
- Are there any specific brands of paint that you'd recommend for adding extra detail to pieces? I do a bit of painting of resin models using Vallejo paints, would these be okay on polymer clay?
- With regards painting, I'm assuming that I'll need varnish as well to protect the paint - any recommendations for matte varnishes?
- Lastly, I see that Halogen Cookers are a thing for tabletop polymer clay ovens. Any tips with regards finding one? Good price ranges, etc.

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Re: Best Variety of Clay for Small Details?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:46:57 AM »
I do a bit of painting of resin models using Vallejo paints, would these be okay on polymer clay?

I use Vallejo and find them superb with Poly Clay.!!!

As to clay type....well I like Fimo (soft and classic) but I am sure that others will be along for recommendations for teeny lady hands!!   :D :D :D :D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »
Hi.  I find Fimo Classic a bit hard on the hands for modelling, but it's great for caning.  My personal choice would be Fimo Soft, it's doesn't get as soft as Premo.  I haven't used Cernit enough to comment.  I tend to like different brands for doing different things, so I think you should try them all and decide which you prefer. 

As for the Halogen oven, here are a few threads that discussed them.  I have one, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet.  I'm happy to tent my stuff with foil and bake in my domestic oven.

http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,1064.0.html

http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,677.0.html

I can't help with the paint, sorry.

Mel  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »
The thing to remember is that all the clay brands were re-formulated a few years ago to meet a new EU directive over their ingredients.

As such , they now use different plasticizers than before and we've found that certain paints and varnishes no longer are compatible. It used to be that anything water-based would work on clay. Now its not so simple.

If you can use pure artists acrylic paints - the type sold in the metal types, these are the least likely to be problematic, but as always test, test, test. Sometimes the paints will appear to dry only to return to tacky hours, weeks or even months later

Same with varnishes - go with the manufacturer's own for the best bet.

As for clay choice- it really will be personal preference. I like Cernit myself, others favour other brands - its just really something anyone else can advise you on. That's why I sell Fimo, Cernit. Pardo and Premo in the store - because  everyone likes something different!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Castaras

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »
Thanks very much for the advice! Going to go for a halogen oven (found a few that looked good in Argos! :D), which I'll be getting for my birthday in a month's time, along with a load of cernit and fimo soft.

Tempted to just ask parents for money for birthday and buy it all early...  ::)