EJR Beads

Author Topic: Seasonal colours and sales  (Read 7524 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Seasonal colours and sales
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Carrie mentioned on the gallery thread that orange was this season's in colour.

It got me thinking:

For those of you who sell, just how important are seasonal trends and so on?

I mean, DO you actually sell valentine's themed stuff in the lead up to Feb 14th, or Halloween stuff in Oct?

Do you notice certain colours selling better depending on the season?

I've always been interested in these trends, but cannot say I ever really noticed any patterns. However, I'm often unobservant when it comes to things like that anyway.

For me, I've always found blues and greens sell well and pinks are hard to shift - no matter what the year, what the season. But I know other beadmakers who do nothing but pinks and their customers cannot get enough of pink.

Are trends important or do they not count so much in "our" world?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Re: Seasonal colours and sales
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
Not single colours, but palettes seem very important.  Brighter palettes during the summer and more autumnal/muted in the (you guessed it!) autumn and winter.   I don't bother with making lovelies just for a specific day (Valentines day etc) as it seems a bit passée to me, but I do take those days into account when planning what to take to a fair. I also try and take into account the type of customer that I am going to get at a venue and make jewellery accordingly, although of course the fickleness of the general public means that they buy what they want and not necessarily what I think they want. I go for colour in a big way on my stall/table which at least makes it stand out from everyone else and tends to attract colour lovers like me, which at least allows me to start a conversation with a prospective punter.  I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time (he he) and it is best not to be governed by "fashion" but establish your own style and approach. Be original!!!!

I've forgotten the question!!   :D :D :D

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
I can't be bothered making stuff for certain days or occasions through the year & sometimes feel it's just a waste of time. So I just make what I feel inspired to make & if it sells..... it sells....if it doesn't I know that item is just waiting for someone to come along & full in love with it.  :)

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:17:27 PM »
I can't be bothered making stuff for certain days or occasions through the year & sometimes feel it's just a waste of time. So I just make what I feel inspired to make & if it sells..... it sells....if it doesn't I know that item is just waiting for someone to come along & full in love with it.  :)

Ditto.  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:52 AM »
I'm much the same - I just make what I fancy really and hope it finds it's right home in time.

I always wonder when I see all these things made for themes like Valentines, St Patricks day etc etc if they actually sell.

Mind you, some years ago when we were in some football thing or other, I made up lots of lampwork beads to look like St Georges flags, made them into earrings and they sold like hotcakes.

So who knows.... some bandwagons are probably worth jumping on if you feel so inclined.

And so... anyone going to do anything Olympic themed?

Emma

ladamemo

• bury treasure
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
Apart from Christmas when I make icile decorations I do what Emma does and just make what I feel like making and hope someone likes it enough to buy it.

I'm doing a stall at a charity pamper evening in petworth soon and I must confess I've been making some brighter than normal things ready for it as the summer is supposed to be here soon! (it is however absolutely pouring down as I write this!).

I do find that darker shades sell well during autumn and winter though!
carrie - nuts but not a nutter!!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
I think variety and choice matter much more if you are selling, especially if you are selling face-to-face with a display of your work.

To have the same style / design, but worked in a variety of colourways always looks more impressive I think. I think also the customer has a subtle mindshift. Their mind skips the "oh that's nice, shall I buy it?" and just goes straight to the "oh that's nice  - which colour shall I chose?"

which is why its alway so hard to sell the last of anything too I think.

Everyone has different tastes and certain colours that suit them - that doesn't really change with the seasons does it.

Mind you, my rather flamboyant grandmother always wears enough jewellery to rival Mr T. She would wear gold in winter and silver in summer.

Anyway, she did - until she lost all her gold jewellery as she forget where she had hidden it over the summer. Now its silver all year round.

But it goes to show some (ok, possibly mad) people do change what they wear with the season. Me though, if i like something I like it all the time.

Emma

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
I tend to make what I like and hope that other people will like it enough to buy it. I like to make thing in lots of different colours but do use brighter colours in summer months. I use hearts a lot but at all times of the year not just for Valentines.

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

Ditto.  :)

8) ;D ;D ;D

my rather flamboyant grandmother always wears enough jewellery to rival Mr T. She would wear gold in winter and silver in summer.

Emma

Oh Emma that did make me laugh!!!  ;D ;D ;D

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Lots of things about my grandmother would make you laugh!

Some would make you blush and go OMG and others probably make you weep. She is quite a character ;-)

Emma

doodah

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
I might be daft but I'm not stupid ;-)
Wendy

Shirley

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
That's just the sort of grandma I'd like to be one day  ;D
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
Lol - well, she has never really been too grandma-ish tbh. But she is certainly a character and very independant and fiesty despite having just gone through breast cancer over the last few years

All the women in my family are strong and feisty and full of energy - its only me who is the wimp that flakes out after 3 hours upright!

I wish I had taken after that side of the family more.

Emma

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
Well I certainly look forward to more story's about your feisty Grandma..  ;D

krielj

• Flower Power
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
I agree with polynana. I tend to use brighter collours in summer just because I feel, well, summery! but other than that I normally go with how I feel at the time and generally use a whole range of colours.