EJR Beads

Author Topic: Glossy Accents  (Read 6132 times)

lynnedbears

Glossy Accents
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »
Does anyone know if you can use Glossy Accents on polymer clay. I am thinking of giving eyes a go and have found a Tutorial which uses TLC and wondered if this would be the same.
Lynne

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Glossy Accents
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
Not sure

These things tend to be acrylic mediums and many acrylics are also problematic with polymer clays since the formulation change. The only thing you could do is to try it out, if no-one has any experience of it they can share.

Just bear in mind that sometimes these products will appear to dry just fine, only to return to being gooey and tacky weeks or even months later. If you are testing a product not generally known to be compatible with polyclay, its a good idea to do tests and leave them a few weeks at least before using the product on any important projects or items made for sale.

Also be wary about products recommended for clay in general when it comes to paints, inks, varnishes etc. Some of the info online predates the clay formulation changes and things cited as compatible sometimes no longer are. Its always best to test stuff out for yourself before going full steam ahead if its a new product to your clay table.

We used to be able to say that anything waterbased would be fine with the clay, but sadly now it just isn't so simple anymore.

Please do let us know how you get on with it though!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

lynnedbears

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
Thanks Emma. Will give it a test.
Lynne

lynnedbears

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
Is TLS the same as Fimo Deco Gel?
Lynne

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »
Yes - in so far as it's a liquid polymer clay  :)

inkyfingers

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:03:49 AM »
I have been using Glossy Accents on baked clay for a while now (2 years?)  :)

So far so good..... I have sealed image transfers then added microbead touches as an accent, coated metal leaf / alcohol ink top layers and used it to make the eyes (black polymer clay) shiny to give them the *wet* look - this seems to be what makes their faces 'come alive'.

I have had a bit if wear on one piece only - it is a necklace that I worn 'to death' which was alcohol ink over silver leaf overlaid on PC - in hindsight I think I should have used more than one layer, as I put it on really thin to seal, rather than to give amazing shine.
Louise

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
That's great to hear you have used it without problems for two years.

Can I ask what brand of polymer clay you have been using with it?

Emma

inkyfingers

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
I use mostly Sculpy Premo, sometimes Sculpy III if I need it in a hurry and don't have the right colours to mix to what I want in Premo... We don't seem to have Cernit or much Fimo here in Oz.

I have also used Diamond Glaze (by Judikins) and Papier - Glass Finish (by Plaid). I like the Diamond Glaze best as it is a super clear glossy finish but they all work... the Glass Finish was the first one I used and it's a bit too thin for my liking, but would be OK with multiple coats, I think. The Glossy Accents would be my second pick as it's a little slower to dry.

Sometimes I use either the DG or GA for shallow bezel filling if I'm feeling lazy and can't be bothered to mix and pour resin - especially if I want to do several layers with inclusions - too much bother to repeatedly mix miniscule amounts of 2-part resin, sometimes.
Louise

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
That's really interesting - thanks for that feedback,

I'll have to try and get some Glossy Accents for people to try out. It sounds like fun

Emma