EJR Beads

Author Topic: Photoshop  (Read 10114 times)

Shirley

Photoshop
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
I have been looking at getting some photo editing software - members on here have talked about using Photoshop. I can see there are different versions of Photoshop and not sure which is best for just tarting up my bead photos. I can see Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop CS5 - and there may be others!!!

Photoshop Elements seems to be the cheapest option, but I can't tell from the descriptions if it will do what I want. What versions do you lot use?

Thanks for any guidance  :)
Shirley

Jessamine

• Illuminati
  • Jess
    • www.jessaminedesigns.co.uk
Re: Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
I'm lucky and managed to get my hands on a full version of it many years ago, but I would think Elements would probably do what you'd need, CS5 certainly would. I'm sure plenty of people of here will use one version or another and be able to give you a more definite answer. I know there are other programs available such as GIMP and Paint Shop Pro too-which could be cheaper options  :)

Jinx

• Another Clayer from Denmark
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
Hi Jessamine,

I'm so lucky to have the full adobe packet, and use photoshop alot, but I have to admid that I use a limitted range of the functions in the program.

I know that you can learn alot from the Tube, and also if you buy from adobe and registre you'll get access to some of there lessons, online.

Also I just check, you have the possibility to download a trial version, and then you cna start with the PS Elements, and see if that has enough functions to your need or you need to have a bigger version.

Jinnie
To many things to try and too little time!
http://www.amio.dk/butik/madebyjia/produkter

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure Elements will have all the functionality you need - I'm sure I used Elements for a long while but as Jinnie says, if you can get a trial version that would be ideal

Its great software -

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Shirley

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
Thanks eevryone, I'll check out the trial version, good idea.
Shirley

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
I have photoshop version 7, which I bought a couple of years ago, but I end up calling my computer all sorts of names every time I try to use it.  I haven't got a clue basically.  I keep meaning to buy one of those 'for Dummies' books so I can figure it out! 

Mel  :)

Jinx

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
With the risk of this edited away by Emma..  :D

I'm not sure this is in or out of the link policy, as it is to a sort of cormercial site, but on the other hand it's free tutes..

This is the link to the adobe TV channels, where there is a view of everything you need to know about, "How to", in all their programs, I have used this a lot myself, and with a sign in, you can save everything which is importent to you..

http://tv.adobe.com/channels/

Jinnie

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
Free tutorials like that are fine, plus its not an arts / crafts supply site  ;)
Looks like a useful site. With photoshop, I don't reallly get how to use it I just know the right buttons to press for the various jobs I have to do on it. But I always get the feeling I could do so much more if only I bothered to learn it!

Emma

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
Cheers for the link Jinnie, think I will find that very useful!  ;)

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »
I have found that with Photoshop, it is so hard to get just basic information.  Really, what we are doing with our jewelry photography, is so basic that I don't think PS (Photoshop) people really want to bother with us.  If you Google any of the easiest  functions in art editing (copy, paste, replace this color with that color, make your white whiter), you get the most cryptic information possible.  PS is great to use once you realize you need very little from the program, and there are a couple of places that  you can get the (very little)information that you need to to do what you need to do.  I think there are programs that will do what you need to do for jewelry photography,  (can't think of the name right now, but will wait for it to come to me and report back) and PS Elements is probably one of them.  It's too late for research now, but will get back to you (when I'm not tired).  Boni (who's no PS snob)

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 07:21:22 AM »
Just to throw another one in the mix, I use Serif photoplus X3, but like Emma, I could learn to do a lot more with it if I bothered. I know how to do the things i need with my photos, (lighten, focus, crop etc) b ut that's about it.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
Thanks for the link Jinnie.  Mel  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
I have no great loyalty to Photoshop really other than its the only one I have used over the years so I sort of know my way around.

But I really cannot do jack in it - I just know which buttons to press to do my photos and can cobble together artwwork for magazine adverts, web banners etc.

I think there are free / open source programs out there that would be just as good for our needs. I just have no clue what they are.

Emma

Jinx

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »
I have learned alot about PS editing from the Tube (youtube) even if it's not the exact function I'm looking for they ofen show something that I  can use in the work of my bead pics.

I usualy spend some time trying different things in PS, like for fun I made a before / after pic of a friend to show her what she would look like if she lost like 20 kilo, it inspirered her alot, I also did other stuff - for fun. I learn alot..

Jinnie

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
My brother did a terrifying composite photo of my parents and emailed it to me. It was so freaky, it just looked like my dad was wearing a LOT of make-up or like he was wearing my mum's face!

We scared ourselves witless with it and promised never to open that file again. In fact, I think it might be saved on my computer under the filename Pandora  ::)

Shudder!

Emma