EJR Beads

Author Topic: Finally a Shop for med  (Read 6326 times)

Jinx

• Another Clayer from Denmark
Finally a Shop for med
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I have activated my shop..

It's on a similar site as Etsy, and I've linked to it in my signature..

But I think it takes forever.. I made a lot of stuff as I don't want a half emty/full shop, but as I'm not use to do this and make descriprions and so on and on. Also I think that some of the shops there use very little desription af there procuct and as they maybe use very Obvius product, they might not feel a need for it.

But as I'm working in a material that is not very wellknow for jewelry here in DK, I feel a need to make some nice desription.. but it take so much time..

And I'm still not sure of my camara - but I'll learn, and I have pursuated the Hubby to build me a light box.

Fell free to look and comment, I really would a preciate comments on the pics quality..

Jinnie
To many things to try and too little time!
http://www.amio.dk/butik/madebyjia/produkter

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Finally a Shop for med
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
It's looking good Jinnie

and yes - listing products is a LOT of work. I find this with my art beads, it takes just as long to photograph and market them as to make them.

I think your photos are ok - but I think if you can do a little photoshopping, you might bring them to a life a little more. I never use photos straight from my camera - I always have to do some image processing in photoshop, just to bring the background back to white etc or bring the colours true if needed etc.

This is a really useful tute for image processing beads etc

http://www.beadybugs.co.uk/documents/PStut1-whitebg.pdf

I would also really recommend using a tripod - otherwise with macro shots especially, its very easy for the photo to go out of focus.

The trouble with selling is that people will not read the words. You have to do a good description, of course. But 99 percent of the time, a sale is made (or lost) on the picture alone. So as much as possible, you need to really illustrate perfectly what it is you love about the design in that photograph.

Descriptions are best to be as short as possible - focus on why the person would want to buy it, how it will improve their life, what it would look good with etc. Most buyers don't really care for too many details about the materials or the techniques used. All that does is to ruin the magic and mystery sometimes ;-)

People want to know what its made of, how long it is, what colour it is etc. But mostly, if they buy it will because you caused an emotion or an aspiration in them when they viewed the product.

Many times when people start selling, I see the writing descriptions like "when I made this pendant, first I took some mica based clay, then I did this to it, then I did that to it, then I baked it "and  its like "oh please - you are making this about as interesting as cleaning out the cat litter box!"

So when it comes to descriptions, I always say - give the bare necessary facts, give a small amount about you and your genius so they know they are buying into artisan excitement, but mostly just let them know what it will bring to their life to own your work!

All the most sucessful sellers I have seen do this. They create imagery of a lifestyle that people really want to buy a part of.

Good luck and hope you get lots of sales!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
It's looking good, Jinny! 

However,  I think that maybe there's too much writing on the home page and I'd like to see the link go straight to the shop with the thumbnail photos  :) 

Jinx

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
Carrie I just change that...

So now it's straigt to the shop..

Jinnie

Jinx

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
Hi Emma,

Thanks alot for the links, and the comments, I agree I need to do something whit my pics.. But actually I have had them trough photoshop... but I didn't do alot of work, maybe I was to bussy getting them online..

About all the writing.. It's really funny, that some in here think there's to much text, as in Amio the Admini sugest that you write a lot which I did then.. And now that it's there I'll leave it, at least for a while..

I just made a translations of one of the desriptions.. And I know it's a´bit much - but I really have a need to try to explaine what I'm doing, not technic and so but more the uniqueneness of the single pieces, I think if there are more working in PC, it wouldn't be nessecaryf

Description in English

"A set inspired by the prospect of spring, with all it's many colors, with pale pink to dark pink glass beads

All my jewelry is handmade one by one, so they can be a little different but also unique because there is only one and the same.
 All colors of my beads and jewelry components are mixed by hand by eye, for each project or each line of jewelry.
 So even if there should come something similar will still never be 2 identical.
 Jewelery comes in a delicate organza jewelery bag with goldpprint.

Beads and pendants are processes in polymer clay, in Denmark, best known as Cernit or Fimo clay.

The necklace
 - Necklace is approx. 46 cm long
 - The necklace handmade beads vary the smallest 1.3 cm and the largest is 1.9 cm in diameter
 - The necklace is fitted with quality silver-plated spring lock
 - The smaller glass beads is from 2 mm to 8 mm in diameter

The earrings
 - The earrings are 5.5 cm long including earloop
 - Earring agree handcrafted beads vary the tiny 1.1 cm and the? Big? 1.2 cm in diameter
 - Earrings are fitted with 925 silver earloops
 - The smaller glass beads is from 2 mm to 6 mm in diameter"

Is this to much..

It's really difficult, this part what is enough and what is too much.. Also as they recomend lots of text.

Jinnie

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »
Carrie I just change that...

So now it's straigt to the shop..

Jinnie
Oh - I much prefer that, Jinnie  :) 
People can still read about you in the profile link but will get lured in by your pretty pieces first!!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
No, I think its a good description. I was just giving my "top tips" for writing descriptions in general.

It is important to describe items well, but I know from experience that customers will not read a whole, full page of text. Especially if it is long sentences etc.

So, its always a balancing act - give enough info that the people need, without having so much text that they don't even attempt to read it.

By breaking up the text into paragraphs and making short, easy sentences - you have made the description user-friendly. I can see that, even though I cannot read Dutch!

Emma

Jinx

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
No, I think its a good description. I was just giving my "top tips" for writing descriptions in general.

It is important to describe items well, but I know from experience that customers will not read a whole, full page of text. Especially if it is long sentences etc.

So, its always a balancing act - give enough info that the people need, without having so much text that they don't even attempt to read it.

By breaking up the text into paragraphs and making short, easy sentences - you have made the description user-friendly. I can see that, even though I cannot read Dutch!

Emma

Oh Emma, thank you, It's danish by the way..  :D I made an English translation a few post earlíer.

Yes I do a lot of paragraph, as I myself hate very long and endless sentences..

Jinnie

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:49:43 PM »
brain fart - of course Danish. I wonder why I said Dutch....

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »
Google did a reasonable translating job  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
I find google translate pretty good for most stuff - my sister-in-laws cantonese FB posts though, well it cannot handle them.,

Either that or she writes some really weird stuff ;-)

Emma

Jinx

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
about the Dutch, properly because it looks and sound alot like eachother..

Most people from around northern Europe - understand some word of dutch, as they have words from all other language. As for danish, I sounds like it, and when traveling, most people think we are dutch, when they discover that we are not english.. take this as a compliment.

Carrie I only use google to translate, single sentences as it's not that good at danish, so it works best with single words or very short sentencses.. Google can get Danish to the strangest things, and you really need to read very carefull, not to send something you don't intent.

I got a 80 pagees contract from Frence to English, have of it didn't make any sense at all.

Jinnie

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 08:48:27 AM »
The shop looks great, Jinnie.  Good luck with it.   :)

Mel  :)

doodah

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »
Good luck with your shop Jinnie - I think it looks lovely.  :)

Wendy
I might be daft but I'm not stupid ;-)
Wendy

Di

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
Good luck with your shop Jinnie, it's looking good :)

Di