EJR Beads

Author Topic: Air Drying Clay cracking  (Read 3427 times)

Bwestie2

Air Drying Clay cracking
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
Hello all. I am using some air dry clay which i made myself (i'm trying to make a west highland terrier model). The only thing is, as it's drying it is cracking. does anyone have any tips on how to fix this problem?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Air Drying Clay cracking
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »
Oh, what a shame...but how do you mean, you made it? 

With many things, if you dry them too quickly or try to hurry them along by putting them near a radiator for example, they will crack.  The outside drying too fast will shrink and crack over a still-damp interior.

I've never used air-dry clay (let alone home-made!)  but with ceramic clay once the outside is well and truly dry and cracking there's not a lot you can do.  If I had a thick piece I would cover loosely with plastic so some air could get in but hopefully the piece could dry slowly and evenly....not a lot of help to you, I'm afraid  :-\

Bwestie2

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
Hi Carrie,

I found a recipe online for air drying clay. I made it with cornflour, baking powder and water. It's like a dough and it's quite good to use.
Plastic sounds like a good idea. I think it dried too quickly. I've only made the head of the westie and i did make lines in it to replicate fur. Some of these have turned into big cracks. I'll have to put a picture on here once i find out how to!

Thankyou for your advice

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
 :) Sounds interesting!
The piece you've made is probably beyond saving  :-\

Have you got a Photobucket or Flickr account or similar?  If you have then you can put photos on there, edit them (to crop and make smaller) and the post them on a forum  :)