EJR Beads

Author Topic: Halogen Oven  (Read 42881 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Halogen Oven
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
I wonder if it is the plasticizers in the clay are actually softening the plastic parts of your ovens? If it is a film as such, you should be finding that equally over all parts of the oven, plastic or glass. If its only the plastic areas, it makes me think its more a reaction in the plastic to the plasticizers in the clay burning off???

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
Oh yes - it could very well be that, Emma.   I have only tried wiping it half-heartedly so I don't know.  I wouldn't see it on the metal parts and there's no glass with mine.

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »
And if you are baking on cornflour or baking soda you def need to tent it.  Learned that one through experience!
I have baked my round beads on cornflour to stop them blowing around, & touch wood, haven't had a problem yet even tho I never tent with foil  :o

I wonder if it is the plasticizers in the clay are actually softening the plastic parts of your ovens? If it is a film as such, you should be finding that equally over all parts of the oven, plastic or glass. If its only the plastic areas, it makes me think its more a reaction in the plastic to the plasticizers in the clay burning off???

Emma
I get a film build up on the glass bowl & lid - can get so bad I can't see the thermometer  :o At least I know when to clean it  ;) No probs with any plastic bits.

lottie

• Lotties Artful Journey
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »
OMG - I haven't had that happen luckily, because I always put foil over to stop my bits of paper blowing around - I bet that was a mess, Susan  :o

I notice a film is building up on the plastic of mine, Lottie.   I won't use it for food so I haven't been worried - but it makes me glad I no longer use the main oven.   I shouldn't worry about any fumes - it's supposed to be ok unless you burn stuff, but I never shut the cat in with the operating oven to be on the safe side......

I don't  have a cat - but my husband often sits in the conservatory whilst it is on ::)  Best tell him to read his paper in the lounge!

Mine is glass and the lid is glass with a stainless steel rim.  So I guess it's the 'fumes'.  It's not a big problem, it just wipes off with a tissue or paper towel - glad some of you have experienced similar.

Thanks for your replies

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
Well I have given in and bought a halogen oven.

It only arrived yesterday, so haven't had much chance to play yet. I've just done a bit of testing without anything in but the thermometer to see how it held the heat.

So far, so excellent.

I hope it behaves the same with clay in it - but empty at least, it can be set to the lower temps we need quite accurate and hold and maintain it evenly it seems. WAY different to any toaster / mini convection oven I have ever tried out.

I hope I am not tempting fate, as I havent actually baked any clay in it yet - but so far its looking very promising!

Emma

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
Emma Does yours have a plastic or Glass lid ??

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »
all glass and metal inside as far as I can tell. Plastic housing on the outside of the gubbins.

Why, is there something I should know?  :o

Emma

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
No nothing inparticular - just in reading through the posts it seemed to me that some people had Glass domes and some had Plastic domes. I did finally find one here a Nu -Wave($140)knock off for $69 US at Walmart, but i havent gotten it yet and didnt look at what the dome was made of

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
I think the ones for sale  here all seem to be glass - mine's an old NuWave and is plastic....it has the big advantage of being a bell shape so I lift it off the metal base.  The "works" can be removed from the top of the bell for cleaning (if I was cooking!)

I think the steady reliable low baking temperature has to be the main advantage, Emma - I really have to hover over my main oven to check it at 110 or so - but the halogen one is perfectly steady and gets there quickly. Must be cheaper too - especially for anything that needs multiple bakings - I always felt I had to bake an oven-full using the expensive main one - I won't even turn it on for just jacket potatoes these days!

I baked some Kato in the main oven the other day - 150 - and it was very good at that temperature though.

I hope you like using it, Emma!!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
Yup, I've not seen any that are not glass and metal for all the main parts

ANyway, .... as I said - yet to actually bake any clay in it, but it certainly looks really promising with my test heating yesterday. Put it this way, I never managed to get ANY toaster / mini oven to behave so well.

Fingers crossed!

Emma

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »
Note to self: When testing your first baking in a new oven, specifically to get a handle on how it works, do NOT set it going then trundle off and eat bombay mix, watch telly and forget you put the blasted thing on.

.....nuff said.

Emma  ::)

Shirley

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
Doesn't yours work on a timer, Emma? On mine, you turn the timer to how long you want it on, and it swirches off automatically.
Shirley

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
Whoops...... ::)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
Yes it has a timer.

The problem was, when I did my test bake yesterday, I actually needed to set the temp a little higher on the dial to get the right temp inside.

Now, I knew this would not necessarily be the same when the oven was full of shelves, tiles, clay etc. So I had wanted to set it to that setting, WATCH IT! and then make adjustments where necessary.

That was what the SMART thing to do would be anyway.

What I actually did was to just walk away and forget until I went it and found it happily settled at almost 150 degrees! (which actually was pretty acurate to where I had left the dial)

So, a case of my own dumb fault there... but hey ho.... as any of you who know me will recall, I am uber-forgetful so its not like this is anything new  ::)

Emma

Lizzie

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
Hi everyone

I need to buy an oven for my clay.  Do I get the impression halogen is the way to go?  If not any other recommendations?  Are there any specific things I should look for (I know I need to get an oven thermom - Emma here I come again!). 

Bye for now, dizzy but happy Lizzie.