EJR Beads

Author Topic: Halogen Oven  (Read 42882 times)

Shirley

Re: Halogen Oven
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
My rose didn't move at all, so I guess not much air movement. Next time I use it I'll put some card in loose and see if it moves. Plenty of room for a thermometer - the bowl is about a foot in diameter, and about 6 or 7 inches high, plus you get an extender ring that you can put on top of the glass bowl to give about 3 or 4 inches more height if you want to make polyclay giraffes  :)
Shirley

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »
Giraffe!! No extender with mine...I'd have to make a baby one  ;D

I had mine on this evening with only two smallish things in - it's only using a bulb so I guess is very economical to use....so I don't feel gulty using it almost empty, unlike my main oven where I only baked loads at a time  8)

Glad you're pleased!

How easy did you find it, reaching into the bowl to load?   (Mine lifts off.)

Shirley

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
Easy to put things in and out, the bowl lifts off the base in case you need to arrange things inside on a lower surface. I'm sure it is  cheaper than putting the main oven on.
Shirley

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
Have fun! :)

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
How windy is it inside. Is there room for a thermometer ?

cant wait to try one !!
I have had round beads go whizzing around a pie tin I had placed in the bottom  :o So round beads now get put on pins on the bead rack or on a bed of cornflour. Baking parchment can end up fluttering around a bit.

I have some offcuts of tiles so I arrange things to suit what I'm cooking. I tend to put the thermometer on a tile or else it falls over on the grid - haven't tried cooking directly on the base of the oven.

Next thing will be to cut round sides to the tiles so they fit in the oven better  ;)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »
If I haven't got room to stand my thermometer up I hang it from the tall grid/shelf - the dial swivels luckily so I don't have to crick my neck  ;D

The foil I put over the top (held down with legs of grid/shelf) stop anything blowing about.

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
If I haven't got room to stand my thermometer up I hang it from the tall grid/shelf - the dial swivels luckily so I don't have to crick my neck  ;D

The foil I put over the top (held down with legs of grid/shelf) stop anything blowing about.
Oo nifty! Hadn't thought of that  ;D I'm quite often struggling for room. Although the oven is very good, I still have to keep an eye on the temp & tweek it a little sometimes so daren't risk leaving it out completely  :)

Shirley

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:27 AM »
Good tip, Carrie, thanks  :)
Shirley

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
My Aldi,s didn't have - the search is on.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »
I can't find any Aldi's in Northern Ireland either. Very upsetting!

Mel  :)

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »
Mel its right next to the other side of the Grand Canyon  ;D

lottie

• Lotties Artful Journey
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
Before this link was posted, I bought mine for 39.99 on Amazon.  It contains two tins, a low 'mesh' grid on little legs, and a taller one.  A pair of grips to lift out any cooking tins etc, two skeweres - for cooking actual food on - but not of course if it's been used for clay, and a spare light - and of course it's guaranteed.  There were several makes listed too.  My one had come down from 89.99, then before Christmas it was 69.99, and after it was as above.

One question I popped on here to ask those of you using halogen ovens - do you just put your things in - on tiles, mount board, the trays whatever - or do you put them in sealed flan or baking tins with clips.

The reason I am asking is that I have noticed that you get a film on the glass, which wipes off easily so no problem really, and also I wondered about any fumes.   

I love mine Halogen oven - it's so easy for me - just wondered what your thoughts were on the latter.

Oh and if you don't already have a thermometer - the one I bought from Emma's shop is brilliant.  It's all stainless steal and so easy to read - I was so impressed.

Shirley

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
I have only used mine a few times so far, but have just put things in on a tile or the bead rack, or on a piece of card. Smaller loose items can blow about a bit, so would need containing somehow, maybe tent with some foil.
Shirley

sjrimmer

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »
And if you are baking on cornflour or baking soda you def need to tent it.  Learned that one through experience!

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »
OMG - I haven't had that happen luckily, because I always put foil over to stop my bits of paper blowing around - I bet that was a mess, Susan  :o

I notice a film is building up on the plastic of mine, Lottie.   I won't use it for food so I haven't been worried - but it makes me glad I no longer use the main oven.   I shouldn't worry about any fumes - it's supposed to be ok unless you burn stuff, but I never shut the cat in with the operating oven to be on the safe side......