EJR Beads

Author Topic: Halogen Oven  (Read 49160 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Halogen Oven
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
They are very good aren't they.

I used to have one from Lakeland years ago that was excellent, but they changed their model and when I had to replace it, I found their current ones are not quite so good. Luckily though, the Fimo one came out so I could use that instead.

I like how the dial is big enough to easily read through the oven door / glass wall too

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

fluffyfred

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2013, 11:46:48 AM »
Ordered a Fimo thermometer, should be here within 10 days. Now I just need to order some fimo and think about things I can steal from the house, to use as tools, as I've almost blown my budget. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that bit.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
Ordered a Fimo thermometer, should be here within 10 days.  ...

10 days???  :o You should have ordered from me, I'd have got it in the post to you this morning! Plus if you order over 25 worth of goodies and use the code READER through checkout, a 10 percent discount too. Just sayin'  ;)

Emma

fluffyfred

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
I'll have to remember that for next time! Before I just hopped back on here though, I checked the order and it's showing as dispatched already, so hopefully it won't be too long.

fluffyfred

« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and I'm currently calibrating my halogen oven so I can start claying. I might not be a happy bunny soon though, it's been on for 20 minutes and has just reached 50 degrees. I've had to turn the dial up to 150 degrees as it's not getting up to temperature. If I can't get it to where it needs to be, I'm going to have to do a hunt for the receipt as I bought it 3 months ago and shoved the receipt in a drawer somewhere (I hope!).

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
How are you calibrating? Are you using an independant thermometer? And if so, do you know for sure that that thermometer responds quickly itself to heat change?

I ask this as the first question simply because I have used a lot of thermometers in my time and some are almost instant in how they change, others can be really labouring, especially to get going from room temp.

Secondly, what temp did you originally set the oven to achieve? If it is too low, the oven can take a very cautious approach so as to not overheat. Sometimes you'll find it better to set a few degrees above target temp and then as soon as you see the oven starting to heat up, dial it back to target temp.

Thirdly - what is inside the oven? The arrangement of shelves and any tiles / baking trays etc inside the oven can have a huge influence on how the oven heats up

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »
I was amazed by the responsiveness of the Fimo oven thermometer l got from Emma - the ordinary cheap cooking one l'd been using took ages to show higher temperatures and l ended up burning things by raising the oven dial temp.  In fact, l thought the oven was going wrong.

fluffyfred

« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »
I'm using a Fimo thermometer as I'd read those were the best ones to use. I'm going to let the oven finish it's timed cycle then test it in my domestic oven so I can figure out whether I might have a faulty thermometer instead.

I put the oven on 125 and then when after 20 minutes, the thermometer had only reach just over 50, I cranked it up to 150 and the dial still wasn't moving.

I've got the low and high metal shelves with a large tile on both, the tiles were rectangular and had to be broken a bit to fit them in. There's space on each side for the heat to go down as well and I sat the thermometer on the top shelf.

fluffyfred

« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
My oven is faulty :(

Luckily I've still got the receipt. I got it from a supermarket where I do my normal shop and according to their website, it's not in stock. If it's not available in store then I'll ask for a credit note to use towards my next grocery shop, then get a different oven elsewhere. From this, I have learned that I should test it straight away!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
Ok.. first off, your oven may not be faulty.

It could simply be that the dial numbers do not correspond with the actual temp it produces at any given setting. Maybe the position marked at 125 on your oven dial  is actually quite a low temp in real terms? Maybe to acheive a real temp of 125, your dial need to be switched higher from the start?

The thing is, without more testing and giving it a longer chance, you wont know.

But that is what callibration is all about -  To see what the real temp is at any given setting.

Maybe 125 on your oven would only ever give a lowish temp of around 50 degrees. To be sure, you need to invest a little time into it and see. Set it to 125 and make a note of the temperature every 5 minutes. Do this for at least 1.5 hours!

Now, look at your results. What temperature did the oven level out at? How long did it take to reach that.

For all you know right now, 125 on your dial could in real terms just be 50 degrees.

Next, try a higher temp,  say 150, - and do the same thing. Put it on for at least 1.5 hours and note the temp every 5 mins.

The reason the halogen ovens are so good is because they are more STABLE in that heat delivery. So, if your dial says 125, but the oven gives you a realiable 50 degrees at that temp, that is good. Its the stability that we crave. The rest you can work with, just testing until you find exactly where to set the dial to for a good clay baking temp.

On my halogen oven, I think I have to start a little higher at around 150 to get the oven up to heat. If I start lower, it cycles on and off so much it takes forever. So I start a little higher and then when the temp is stable, I turn it down to around 125 which gives me a real temp of 130 - fine for cernit.

Emma

fluffyfred

« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice on that, I'll try it again tomorrow. I was going to put the temperature up high at first, but I was worried it would break my thermometer. I think it's a sturdy little thing though, so hopefully it will manage to take a blast of heat tomorrow.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
Just be methodical and invest a little time into doing a few experiments. It really will pay off and let you know for sure if your oven needs to go back or not.

Afterall, you could find that the oven holds the correct temp perfectly stable - just you need to set the dial to X rather than Y temperature setting.

Likewise, you could find it really is just erratic and needs replacing.

Without spending a little time testing it thoroughly though, you'll not know for sure and could risk throwing out a gem of an oven.

Emma

fluffyfred

« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
I 'think' I might have it where it needs to be now. I've spent the last 3 hours testing it and figured out it's out by about 75 degrees. All I can say to that is I'm glad it's for polyclaying and not cooking. The oven thermostat isn't giving me much confidence. If I turn the dial up or down just very slightly, less than 5 degrees on the oven, the thermometer drops by 10 degrees. I can only seem to get it to just below the red line or just above.

I've been watching it and very gently tweaking the dial, but can only seem to get either 105 or 115. Am I right in thinking that fimo has a tolerance level but shouldn't go over 130 otherwise it risks burning?

I'm sorry for all these questions and I promise as soon as me and my boys have made something, I'll post pictures  ;D

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2014, 06:39:21 AM »
Yes, the temperature is really a guideline. Many people bake Fimo up to 130. I find I get hairline cracks if I go about 125.

I suspect the 115 temp, if you can keep it stable there, will be perfect. But you might get away with the lower temp

Do some tests baking some clay at both temps to see if they bake strong. Bake some sheets, and roll some pencil-thin small logs of about 2 inches long. Once the items have baked and then cooled down fully, try bending and breaking the logs and sheets. See how strong the clay is and how much bending it will take before breaking. (Bear in mind, even fully cooked, softer clays like Sculpey 3, Fimo Soft and even Premo nowadays will not be as strong, even when correctly baked, as stronger clays like Fimo Classic, Cernit etc)

Emma

fluffyfred

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
Me and my little boy did a couple of hearts using a cookie cutter, I had to bake it twice as after the first time, the outside of the clay had a waxy feel and I managed to nick it with my fingernail. After the second baking though, it appeared to be ok. I'm going to do some sheets and logs like you've suggested, hopefully some time this week.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I like the fimo, I don't know what it is about it, but I didn't feel comfortable using it. I'll use up the packs I've got and if I'm still not sure about it, I'll try some other brands as I'm sure one of them will be perfect for me to use.