EJR Beads

Author Topic: Halogen Oven  (Read 49161 times)

Tails

• Tails Vlography
Re: Halogen Oven
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
I'm currently using an oven thermometre with my normal oven.

Does anyone have a pic of this foil cover suggestion (I'm still new to this and struggling to picture what it would look like)?

Sorry, lazy me just Googled it now and I found this, is this right?

http://thebluebottletree.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/baking-pans-with-binder-clip.jpg

Also, does a halogen oven change the amount of time the clay needs to bake. Mine says bake at 130 deg C for 40 min, so I usually do 120 for 40min cos the charms are small items. So far nothing is burnt, but I wonder about the new oven...I hear they cook stuff faster?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:56:17 AM by Tails »

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
Don't think the time will vary. Although a while since I looked at the instructions, I think it used to say, on one of the brands, Temp x 30 mins per 1 cm (or whatever thickness) - so a very thin piece would cook for 30 mins, whereas a very thick piece may require an hour.

A lot of people, myself included, ensure the temperature is correct & cook for 1 hour regardless. I believe, as long as the temp is bang on, it doesn't matter too much if you cook longer  :-\

I'm sure somebody with loads more experience will be along to correct me & point you in the correct direction lol Think of this as something to read/pass the time whilst you're waiting for them  ;) ;D

Tails

• Tails Vlography
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »
Thanks so much :) :)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
I'm with Bev on this one.....I mostly cook things from 45 - 60mins. Some of my designs require multiple bakings and a finished piece may have been baked for 2 - 3 hours in total.  Doesn't seem to cause a problem.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Tails

• Tails Vlography
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
Thanks! Baked it for 40 min in the halogen in my two pie tins clipped together, came out fine!

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »
That's good to hear :)

Tails

• Tails Vlography
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
Oddly enough, it runs 40oC hotter than my oven thermometre says its at, so it burnt our chicken cos there was no room for the oven thermometre lol.

If I want 180oC I have to run it at 135oC or so O_o

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
Hmmm - that's rather a large discrepancy >:(

Tails

• Tails Vlography
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »
It is!! It was on special and it is a cheap brand, so I somehow wasnt surprised, but I think we're keeping it mainly for clay items and baking oven chips and roasts when we figure out the temp difference for certain lol

fluffyfred

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a couple of months, but I have a query regarding halogen ovens.

I bought one today as I liked the price and need to start getting bits together to start claying. Anyhoo, the starting temp on it says 125 celcius, but just as I was about to buy some Fimo, I noticed the packaging states it needs to be baked at 110 celcius. I'm worrying now about burning the clay and having seen the Premo is baked at a higher temperature, I'm just wondering if the starting temp on my halogen oven sounds right or do I need to take it back for a refund and shop around for one with a lower starting temp? Or would Premo be better for a complete novice like me anyway?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated  :D

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »
Having an oven that restricts the choice of clays used, doesn't sound good to me.  Especially as Fimo is my fav.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
Mine has the same - I think most halogen ovens have that as a starting point.

But, they are just numbers really and when you start checking with the oven thermometer, you'll almost certainly find that 125 on the dial doesn't necessarily mean EXACTLY that anyway.

The important thing is, can you physically turn the dial lower than this, even if that is just where the numbers start? On mine you can, it even has a setting lower on the dial saying "thaw"

Remember, we're not really telling the oven what temperature to "reach" as such  - all the dial does is set a heat point which, when reached, the elements stop firing. But the are only ever full on, or full off. It is just the frequency of how often they come on and off that builds up the heat in the oven.

The beauty of halogens is that they can cycle on and off quickly around that temp given pretty immediate bursts of heat, so you don't get the long spikes up and down through the temperature ranges as with the conventional ovens. The halogens therefore keep it all more stable. But their dials can be as inaccurate as any oven in regards to the temperature actually being what it says on the dial. So you need to work out with a separate oven thermometer where the dial should go to give the right temp

If the dial will physically turn lower, then there is the ability to make it turn the element off at a lower temp and all you need to do is work hard to find exactly where that position is that gives you the right temp in the oven.

Bear in mind how you set up the oven will also have a bearing on calibration, also if you have any shelves in and stuff on them etc. There is no point calibrating the oven empty and then filling it up with two shelves full of stuff for the actual baking.

So set up the oven with the layout of any shelves, tiles, baking racks etc that you would normally use and calibrate it with that in place. Remember to leave space for air to circulate if you are using the top shelf.

Its a good idea to protect the more heat-sensitive clays like Fimo from the direct heat of the halogen bulb.

I bake the beads on a rack on the oven floor. Above them I put the tallest shelf with a couple of ceramic tiles on to protect the beads from the direct heat. But the tiles are only above the baking rack, so there's plenty of room either side of the tiles for the air to circulate around the oven. This has proven to be the most reliable set up for me.

Emma

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:54:08 PM by ejralph »
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

fluffyfred

« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
I'll admit I was starting to panic a little as I want to be able to try different clays to see what works best for me, but luckily after having a proper look, it does have a defrost function and as the black line around the dial has a gradient, it does suggest it might go lower. My plan is to get an oven thermometer as well so I can check the temp as it goes along, but I guess if I do a test without polyclay first, I can see if it does go lower and if not, I could use that one for general cooking, then creep about my hubby to get me a different one ;D

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
I think they are all pretty much the same - I don't think I've ever seen one of these small ovens - halogen or fan - that doesn't start at 125.

Very often they also have a lower setting for defrost, or even for doing meringues. But generally they start at 125 because any lower and the oven would be switching on and off all the time so much so that the temp would be spiking here, there and everywhere. And indeed, in my old fan oven, it would do just that - and could rise and fall 50 degrees in literally a minute because it seemed to take the oven's own thermostat so long to cotton that the heat had risen and it needed to shut off.

The thing is, with a halogen, that doesn't really matter so much as they seem to be so much more immediate in how they deliver a boost of heat and also lose it.

The important thing is to use an oven thermometer. The Fimo brand ones are good and very responsive to temp changes. I found they respond quicker than the Sculpey brand.

Without that oven thermometer, you're going to be clutching at straws and Fimo is not a clay that likes to be overbaked in my experience!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
Just want to comment that l am really impressed with my Fimo oven thermometer - the cheap old "proper" cooking one l was using before just didn't respond quickly enough nor did it seem accurate.

Well worth buying 8)