EJR Beads

Author Topic: How are your sales doing?  (Read 12174 times)

xena

Re: How are your sales doing?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
I can think of lots of people for your black hole, if you just imagine them falling in it can be quite satisfying.
As for Craft Fairs, there are so many stalls selling jewellery, not many up this way selling polymer items though. We also do mosaic to try to combat this. I agree with all of you who commented that the young either want designer or cheap.
Last weekend we had two fairs and when we combined the two takings were much the same as last year.
A few more before Christmas so no let up yet.
Hazel

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
Ah, what a truly refreshing thread this is! 

Jinnie I am very impressed with your English and your comprehension of the British sense of humour!

I can see it could be confusing as to why people on forum would be happy to share techniques etc. but not at a craft fair - but I think apart from the fact the latter folk involved tend to be rude and ignorant, and self opinionated, there is also the fact that on a forum such as this,  its not a one way street is it,  lots of people here have different techniques and tips to pass on, so its like a multi-swap and those of us who have gained from others, will hopefully in turn pass on their knowledge and gained expertise to others - sort of a massive PIF !

hope that makes sense!

Faith x

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
That makes sense to me Faith - its altogether more symbiotic isnt it.

Also, I think the forum format is less confrontational. Someone can ask a question and its up to every individual if they want to answer or not. Everything is very voluntary.

Whereas if someone at a fair directly asks you "how do you do that" - and you KNOW its only because they want to sell your ideas and side-step the learning curve. Well, thats more violating really and always puts the person being asked into an awkward position.

Motives also play a big part. Why is the person asking? Because they love this medium and want to learn? Or they just saw something for sale at a fair and figure "I can do that if I only get that person to tell me how"

There is just this sense that crafts are "easy money" when in reality nothing could be further from the truth really.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Jinx

• Another Clayer from Denmark
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »

Jinnie I am very impressed with your English and your comprehension of the British sense of humour!
PIF !

hope that makes sense!

Faith x

It make perfectly sence - exept for the PIF ! ???
Thanks alot Faith, but remember that the Danish are mch closer to UK especialy on humour, than we are to US "stupid Sitcoms" hate those..
Most Danish, is very much in cline with UK humour.. You could try out a some part of a Danish Cartoon, the humourus Danes (among others me and the HB), BUT i have to make a Wanning about language, if you're are sensitive about it, don't see it.. we do use many not so nice words in the danish language - and they are translatet, into the subs.

This is basic Danish humour..
But if you want to try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOg7smOt2JA

At least my generation, in DK it's like in UK, the youngsters want designer ware, they just want Brands and not crafts, despite the quality.

Hope you enjoy.. Jinnie
To many things to try and too little time!
http://www.amio.dk/butik/madebyjia/produkter

Jinx

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »
That makes sense to me Faith - its altogether more symbiotic isnt it.

Motives also play a big part. Why is the person asking? Because they love this medium and want to learn? Or they just saw something for sale at a fair and figure "I can do that if I only get that person to tell me how"

There is just this sense that crafts are "easy money" when in reality nothing could be further from the truth really.

Emma

You are so right Emma, I'm so surpriced over the possibillities, and the demand for tools (that I realy) need, and you are right it looks easy and it takes for hours, just to see alot of nice videos on the internet, that is so generous of the craftspeople, and I mean both proffs, and others are happy to share - It's  amazing, Also all you wonderfull people in this specific forum, I feel very lucky to be part of this.

Jinnie

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:56 PM »

PIF !

hope that makes sense!

Faith x

It make perfectly sence - exept for the PIF ! ???

I think it means Pass It Forward - as in the film that was released some time ago  :-\ Apologies to Faith if I've got it wrong  :-[

Jinx

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
Bev, I know the movie.. Very very good - Sad Sad ending..

I never see movies like this in the cinema, as I'm such a crybaby - I litteraly cry my eyes out every year at crismas, when Bambi's mom get shot  :'(

After seeing the "Green Mile" my eye was so svollen from tears, that I looked Chinese.

Jinnie

Bev

• Bev
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »
Jinnie, you are ahead of me as I haven't seen the film, just remember reading about it  ;)

Bev, I know the movie.. Very very good - Sad Sad ending..

I never see movies like this in the cinema, as I'm such a crybaby - I litteraly cry my eyes out every year at crismas, when Bambi's mom get shot  :'(

After seeing the "Green Mile" my eye was so svollen from tears, that I looked Chinese.

Jinnie
;D ;D ;D

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 11:02:57 PM »
yes it is Pass it Forward or Pay it Forward- very sad film - I love sad films but I cry like a baby too -  I still cant see Ring of Bright Water without snivelling! even sad cartoons make me sniff!

No problem regarding the language/swearing Jinnie - I'm a big girl!  and I have been known to use the odd "colourful" word on occassion. 

I remember Chris Tarrant did a late program on TV about foreign adverts and the Danish ones were so funny! and some were very naughty!  I will take a look at the Youtube link!

Bev

• Bev
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »
yes it is Pass it Forward or Pay it Forward- very sad film - I love sad films but I cry like a baby too -  I still cant see Ring of Bright Water without snivelling! even sad cartoons make me sniff!

Aha! That's the one  :) Almost got it right (largely helped by having the 1st letter of each word)  :)

KMD

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
Hi ive been a stranger for a while but still here!! this thread caught my eye, i did a fair last week had i think good sales it was only a 2 hour event but i had the usual competition people selling the latest bracelets and obviously not hand made in england, they crowded the table like vulchers but i had very postitive feedback as the middle age group all did crafts and jewellery themselves but none did polymer they had tried but were amazed at my patience lol. I have another event soon but dont think i shall be as lucky.

However i am making chainmail bracelets which are going like hot cakes it does seem that people like bling and it may be a while before polymer holds its own place in the jewellery world lol!!

Karen

krielj

• Flower Power
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »
I have done my last craft fair ever! It's so disheatening when you work all week and then spend all weekend at a craft fair only to suffer a massive loss. Never again.

doodah

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »
Aw that's a shame - I'm sorry to hear you made such a loss. :( I hope you find another way of selling your creations for what they're REALLY worth!

Wendy
I might be daft but I'm not stupid ;-)
Wendy

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Jayne

I think craft fairs can be so hit or miss. When they are good, its so worth doing - but they can so easily bomb too and the loss is then quite painful isnt it.

Various customers of mine have told me they have better luck with either different types of events - such as festivals or country fairs rather than crafts fairs. Also jewellery parties often do better than the average craft fair for many of my customers.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
Sorry to hear the craft fait didn't go well Jayne.  Don't lose faith though.

:) Mel