EJR Beads

Author Topic: How are your sales doing?  (Read 12175 times)

Shirley

Re: How are your sales doing?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:23 AM »
I think what is so upsetting/annoying is the fact that they devalue the skill involved, and assume it is easy. The members on here know it isn't, and are prepared to put in the effort to learn. It is always a pleasure to pass on knowledge when you know it is valued and appreciated, but not when someone thinks there is no skill or effort involved.
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
I get a little confuesed...  ???

Now to the confusing stuff.. all in here seems happy to share knowledge, to eachother and to newbie's like my self.. I mean if you (someone) is realy going in to claying, you at some point have to sell of it. It would be impossible to use all these jewelry, even though you change more or less every day.

So it's my impression that you don't mind new sellers, but I understand you get annoyed over these rude people..

Jinnie

I totally understand your confusion - you are not alone .This issue has been debated in polymer clay circles ever since there were online communities to debate it!

But, I think this is a matter of context. What people are asking for, when they ask it, and how they ask!

We all love to share - and asking about general polymer clay techniques in a forum setting is totally normal. The reason I set up this forum is to all share experiences and for us all to learn to be better clayers and sellers too.

But there is a difference between this - developing your own skills  - and DEMANDING to know the intricate details of how someone else makes THEIR work. Especially if you are doing that whilst they are selling it, trying to earn their living.

So - I think people who email artists selling on Etsy or stand in front of their table at a fair etc demanding to know how they make their beads are very different to people asking general questions on a forum.

The trouble is, the types of people I am talking about will be VERY rude and very demanding as if every technique you have worked hard on is their RIGHT to know.

This is SO different from people sharing info on a forum about the general claying techniques that we all use.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Jinx

• Another Clayer from Denmark
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
Shirley, I think you're right, about the feeling of devlue of skills.. But on the other hand, that was my stating point - Buttons fitting with my knitting, how hard could it be  ::)

I got very fast very much wiser, but in that prossec I also got so intrieged by the endless possibilities with clay.. So I got hooked and for the moment forgot a bit about the buttons  ;D

I think that clay seems easy, as you can mix two colors and marble a little and you actualy have a bautifull bead.. But then you (I do/did) start getting ideas, and have some expectations to the outcome of the work, and I think it's here it gets a bit tricky.

You're right, there is a lot of trial and error, in this - as how colors look after baking, that has been one of my difficulties, as I apparently have a tendency to make to many details, wich dissapear when the cane gets to reduced, or background color is to dark, same with the whits. Emma helped me out on that - and I LOVE the Opaque white, and the translucient.. I'm not sure what to do with the regular white (cernit).

Does any of you acctualy make a living out of claying, or do all have a daily job, and clay on you spare time. I was just wondering.. Would love to make a living out of this, but it's not possible at least not in DK.

Jinnie
To many things to try and too little time!
http://www.amio.dk/butik/madebyjia/produkter

noani

• Eva
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »
Thank you Emma for setting words to my feeling! You explaine it soooooo good !

Jinx

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
Emma, I know exactly the type of persons you're refering to, these types seems to be a growing crowd in the society, and they are out of my conceptual world.

I meet one in a camara shop, and the sellsman spend an hour to explaine and go through 2 -3 types of camera, and when he finish, they where so polite, that they actualy told the mann - that they would go home and by it online, as "that's much cheaper"  :o
Ofcourse it is, they don't have a sellsmann spending hours on knolegde transfer.

Exactly the same type to do what you have experinced, strange.. I could never behave like that, though I could ask out of interest, of the prossec - I'm so courius.. but never demandig..  And this is not just jewelry, but glass work, candy work, the pastry people (though I'm not sure pastry is the right word, as I mean those people decoration cakes with chocolate and iceing and stuff) I just love to see real artists work on all sorts of crafts.

I'm actually allready now seaching out the Internet in DK, to see what opportunities ther is for selling - not that this is for now, but just research. Doesn't seems to be much, but let's see.

We need to shove this types down in a big hole and hurry up, cover the hole up.

Jinnie

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
This is the thing - the people who get concerned about this confusion are actually the really polite people anyway. They are confused precisely because they cannot believe that anyone could be so rude. So they think these comments we make could be about people like themselves and the normal, innocent questions they are asking.

Trust me  - when it comes to this issue - if you are worrying "is it me? Am I asking rude questions" then the answer will be no.

The people who cross the line just are SO unaware of how rude they are, they would never self-question like that.

There is never any harm in asking about anything, so long as you are prepared to be told sometimes "ok, that idea is something I am keeping secret for now" or "yes, youcan learn if you buy my tutorial"

The rude people object to these answers though and think that every idea should be given to them free, when they want it. and are VERY rude to you if you don't agree.

Its amazing, but even in our world, there are a few people like this. Thankfully not many though

Emma

(and yes, burying them in a huge hole would be a great idea!)

Jinx

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
I just found one, this should be sufficient..

Now we just need to start filling it up.

Jinnie

Shirley

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
lol Jinnie  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
When I was a kid, we lived in a main road in Wimbledon.

One day, a hole just like that appeared in the road and the road was closed for ages whilst they fixed it. All us street kids had a great time, because there was no traffic and we could ride our bikes everywhere, clamber in and out of the hole all day and generally be even more tearaway up and down the road than usual.

Ah.... happy days.

Emma

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
I could think of sooooo many people to toss in that hole  ;D

Shirley

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
You'll have to be quick, Bev, I'm filling it up rapidly. An ex-husband, and several ex-bosses have already been shovelled in. And the git who hit my car and just drove off. And my bank manager. Make that all bank managers.

Sorry, hole's full.  ;D
Shirley

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »
LOL you lot are so funny!!   We need a bigger hole though as I'd like to add everything Shirley just mentioned into it too!  The only difference being that the git who hit my car did stop, but didn't have any insurance anyway, however in some form of poetic justice, they totalled their car on my tow bar!!!  I recommend that everyone gets a tow bar!  So what is this thread about again??   ;D Mel

Jinx

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »
When I was a kid, we lived in a main road in Wimbledon.

One day, a hole just like that appeared in the road and the road was closed for ages whilst they fixed it. All us street kids had a great time, because there was no traffic and we could ride our bikes everywhere, clamber in and out of the hole all day and generally be even more tearaway up and down the road than usual.

Ah.... happy days.

Emma

I didn't know that the UK underground was that unsteady.. In DK, we don't have any sorts of "nature" disasters..  But ofcourse the UK is much bigger than DK.

But the happy days I remember, in DK back in the 70ties, we had "Car Free" undays so not a car in sight and we used even the highways for biking and rolerscates.

Happy happy

Oh Shirley, I thought that we would use the hole for unpolite people only, if the anoying once is going in too - We need a bigger hole..

Comming up:

Notis the tree small "dots" on the road in the bottum, that's the same kind as on pic 2.

Pic 3 is just if anyone else whant to join in someone they would like to get rid of.. I think this on would last forever as they (scientists) says that things even light disappear in here.

Jinnie

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »
LOL Jinnie!!!  ;D Mel

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »
There are PLENTY of people I would happily lob into a black hole!

But, if the black hole had any taste, he would spit them back out at me I expect!

Emma