EJR Beads

Author Topic: Eyepins and wire  (Read 4273 times)

Jinx

• Another Clayer from Denmark
Eyepins and wire
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »
Hi All,

Hope someone can help?

I have tryed to buy some wire and made some eye pins.. this works ok, but the wire seems to thick..

When some of you makes your own jewelry, with "jumprings", eyepins etc. if you are making these items yourself, wich type of wire and wich thicknes?

Hope someone in here have some experience, so I can order some wire, from somewhere..

If anyone ahve use different types, like "tigertail", I realy would like to hear about it, also I'm very curios if anyone have use real silver or gold.
When you are using chains - finish ones, do you use a special one to open the "rings" or do you use jumprings - fx a bead with and eyepind and then a piece of chain and so on.

Any advise will be welcome...

Thanks up front

Jinnie

To many things to try and too little time!
http://www.amio.dk/butik/madebyjia/produkter

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Re: Eyepins and wire
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »
Hi

When making jewellery I tend to stick with 20 gauge wire which is around 0.8 mm.  Most of the findings that you buy on-line are around this gauge and so it is easier to mix and match between findings you buy and findings you make yourself.

If I were you I would google "wire work jewellery" and "wire work tutorial" and look at a few sites to get an overview of the technique.

Tigertail is a "stringing" material that you use when "crimping", you run the wire through a crimp bead and then crimp it shut with pliers. Again I would google "crimping tutorial" or something similar to get an overview of the technique.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »
And if you're anything like me with crimping, be prepared to do lots of practice and to crawl about the floor searching for the beads that have rolled everywhere when it hasn't gone quite as planned.  There are loads of helpful videos on U-tube that will help you get started.

:) Mel

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
And if you're anything like me with crimping, be prepared to do lots of practice and to crawl about the floor searching for the beads that have rolled everywhere when it hasn't gone quite as planned. 

:D :D

Shirley

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »
lol Mel

I have to do a regular trawl under our settee with a coathanger for the escaped beads that have leapt away from the crimping process.
Shirley

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »
Heh heh - DH does the bead crawl  ;D

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
Jinnie, I would really recommend you try to find a book on basic wireworking jewellery techniques as that will give you a great starting point. Wire Jewelry magazine is also excellent as it has lots of basic techniques in each issue and always covers all the basic wireworking stills people need to make most jewellery items. I carry it in the store, but you can also find it online or maybe locally.

I would certainly practise at first with cheaper, plated wires. Working with silver can be really fun too - you will find with silver, the wire comes in different hardnesses as well as thicknesses. Soft wire is, as it says - very soft. You can "work harden" it in different ways if using for making your own clasps, jumprings etc. Copper wire is a good cheap alternative to practise your metalworking skills on too.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »
LOL Carrie, you have him so well trained!  What's the secret???  ;D

Emma, could you recommend a book on basic wirewoking? I've been looking to get one for a while now.

:) Mel

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
To be honest, I'm not really a connaisseur of wireworking books. The only one I had was All Wired Up, by Mark Lareau (sp?) which I found to be a really fun book. I ended up giving it to the girl next door though as she was getting into jewellery making and I thought it would be great to give her all the basics for turning loops, making your own clasps and headpins etc.

The only other wire-y type book I have was more chainmaille inspired stuff. Links, by Jean Yates. Jean is a good online friend of mine, so I can't really be unbaised about her brilliant, inspiring and highly original book  ;)

I am sure that a peruse of amazon will bring up loads of wireworking books to flick through.

I have slowly been selling off most of my crafty books and refusing to buy anymore. So I deliberate avoid that place right now to avoid getting temptated!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
LOL Carrie, you have him so well trained!  What's the secret???  ;D
He always has a hunt before he does the hoovering!!  ;D 8)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
I think a good bit of googling should bring up most of the info you need as well :)

Jinx

• Another Clayer from Denmark
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
Thanks Everyone,

This was helpfull, exept that the wire I have is 0,8 mm, and it's to thick so I have to go thiner..

I have worked some with crimping, as I worked on some nylon wire to use whit freshwaterpearls and some gemstone... I'll post picture, when I have one..

I have been on the Internet, and is extreme exeited about how to work with this.. so I got to try, and made some cainmaille "Rose" - with 3-4 rings in eatheother and then conectet to the next bye 1-2 rings side by side..  As I didn't have any wire in the house, I cut up some jumprings made from eyepins, and they worked out quite well.

But with the wire I bought, they don't get thin and elegant enough..

If some of you can recomend books, I would love to know, as the selection in DK, is not realy - anything to talk about..
books on both Polyclay techniqs, and wire/jewelry would bee lovely.

Thanks a lot..

And for the beads on the floor - you are right, they are all overr the place. And you would see me on the floor, with a cat that loves to help, which is not realy to helpfull.

Jinnie
To many things to try and too little time!
http://www.amio.dk/butik/madebyjia/produkter