EJR Beads

Author Topic: what type of clay  (Read 5463 times)

Jinx

• Another Clayer from Denmark
what type of clay
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:41:22 PM »
As I'm a newbie, I have do ask some of your much more experienced clayers..

For canes for milififorie, what type of clay do you preffer in these topics:

Best translucient white, I want as much transperant as posiple but, not the dirty type color.

Best metal and shimmer color, clay to use in canes.

Best clay to hold details in cane, when they are reduced.

I know this is a lot of big questions, but I felt that they was all of the same type..

Thanks a lot up front

jinx
To many things to try and too little time!
http://www.amio.dk/butik/madebyjia/produkter

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Re: what type of clay
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »
Hi Jinx!

I guess that you will get many different answers for your questions but her goes... :D

I use predominately Fimo Soft for all my work, I find that it is fine for all general cane work and holds detail fine as long as you let it rest occasionally when you are reducing it. Fimo Classic is slightly crisper in a cane but is harder to condition. Very much a trade off between ease of use and finished product.

I find that the Premo translucent is the clearest BUT it seems to dry up very quickly out of the packet. I haven't used Kato translucent but have heard that it is very good (although has a different cooking temperature to Fimo).

Again, I use Fimo for "shiney" and metallic colours, but it can be difficult to use the "glitter" products in canes as they have bits in and can distort the cane. If I am using a metallic in a cane I tend to mix it with metallic pearl (or mix the whole colour incorporating metallic pearl) which seems to make it easier to use rather than straight out of the packet metallic. Hope that makes sense!

I do find that the key to canes is not so much the clay that you use but the contrast between colours and the use of colour tone. If you have a great deal of contrast then it will hold its detail the smaller you make it. If you use similar tones and hues then the eye is unable to differentiate between them on a small scale and will blend them into the same colour.

Anyway Good Luck, and as everyone here will tell you the only way to learn is experiment and that there are no mistakes, only lessons.

Cue everyone else.... :D :D :D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »
I've only ever used Fimo Classic for caning and I love it.   I don't find conditioning an issue, but then I don't really know any different.  I've used cernit a couple of times (not for caning thought) and in relation to conditioning, I don't think it's any different to Fimo Classic.  I use Fimo soft when I'm having a polyplay session with my kids and we usually just condition it by hand (again, not for caning though).

:) Mel

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
Remember also that all translucent clays look a bit dirty in thick slices. They only appear transparent in VERY thin slices.

So, unless you are doing caning techniques where you are taking paper-thin slices of the cane and overlaying them onto a base bead, using translucent clay in a cane isn't a good idea.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Jinx

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
Trying for the paperthin, and sometimes it works..

Jinnie

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »
@ Pete I bought some Kato translucent clay after using the premo. To be honest I didn't like the smell of the premo version or it's colour so that's why I bought some Kato! The Kato actually smells even worse lol but is much nicer in colour & to use, so I would diffo recommend it!  ;) :D

As for use in caning I use Fimo soft & classic, both work well but I do agree with what Pete said about getting the colours right! I've also tried a glitter clay in caning, it did look nice but the little bits of glitter do drag when you slice it. So on that note I also agree with Pete & mix pearl into the clay to give it that metallic look, works much better! Just try the different brands as one may suit you better than another. I think Fimo is probably the easiest to get hold of here in the UK in my opinion, but I just search online till I find what I'm looking for.  ;D

Jinx

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
Hi Angie,

I'll try out the different types of clay, eventualy. For the moment I'll use the types I can get from Emma, as it seems like claying isn't a big thing in Denmark - which actualy is strange as Denmark realy is a DIY Country.

I've search the Internet for Shops in denmark and I do find them - BUT they only have a very little selection of clay type (In Denmark I can choose Cernit or Cernit) and then only in the most basic colors, if I'm lucky I can get Cernit Glamour, but still only a few colors. They don't seems to have a market for this - maybe I should set up a Business of claying in Denmark.. But no, have to much work allready.

So for now it is Emma's shop, as seh have everything ;D Eventhough I have to wait impatiantly - here I need a  ;) jumping up and down like a rubber ball to show my mood..

Jinnie

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »
Lol Jinx!

It is a shame it's hard to get the clay but like you said atleast you can buy from Emma!  ;D

Jinx

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »
Yes, Emma's is my saviour.

The husband got tired of driving around to hooby shops, where they didn't have what I needed  :D

Jinnie

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
OOh, I;ve never been a saviour before. I kinda like that.

Do I get a costume though?

Sorry to hear your order hasn't arrived yet Jinx. Normally packets to Denmark are quite quick, but we are starting to see a slow-down already because of all the Christmas post.

Once Christmas is over, I think you will be surprised how quickly orders arrive.

Emma

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
I just kneel down & worship at the altar that is the internet  ;) Imagine how difficult it would be getting hold of the clay - let alone learning techniques, finding tools for said techniques, meeting like-minded individuals etc.  :D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
LOL Bev!!

;D Mel

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
The internet is amazing isnt it

We live in a pivotal time of humankind development because of it. A bit like when the printing press was made.

When I think back to being a kid at school, there literally were kids there who couldn't string a sentence together because they just never read ANYTHING

These days every kid reads from morning til nightfall - that has to be good for their developing brains.

Emma

Jinx

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
OOh, I;ve never been a saviour before. I kinda like that.

Do I get a costume though?

Emma

Angellike??, lett us all know if your starting to grow wings :o

I'm still waiting, very impatiantly, but eventualy it will arraive..

Jinnie

kscottcrafts

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 01:25:45 AM »
I've only used fimo for caning but the soft is so much better than the classic, which tends to crack very easily even I've thought I've reduced it enough to condition it!