EJR Beads

Author Topic: Angel Policy  (Read 4746 times)

samjangi

Angel Policy
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
Hi
Does anyone know what the usual policy is for using commercial stamps in polymer clay? I see Di uses a lot of stamps in her work so thought she or someone else here might know and be able to help me. I was thinking of using some stamps  (from my papercrafting days) I had almost as a texture. I am probably being super cautious but don't want to tread on any toes if I sell my work. :-\
Sam

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
Re: Angel Policy
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help you here Sam, as I haven't not a clue, but I would imagine that stamp companies would have a link on their websites somewhere stating their policy.   It'll be interesting to hear what everyone else says.  :) Mel

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
As far as I know most stamps should only be used for personal use, or gifts, not for making stuff to sell. But there are quite a lot of what are called 'Angel' stamps, which have copyright free use. Then there are also many that allow a limited amount of use for selling, so long as it isn't on a large commercial scale. If you know the manufacturer of the stamps you want to use, you can probably look them up and find out their policies.

Look up Angel stamps and see what you can find. The alternative is to make your own!

I am also fairly sure a lot of people aren't aware of it possibly being an issue, or if they are, they just ignore it and carry on anyway and sell their stuff. If I use stamps for anything I sell, I try and make sure it's ok for what I want to do with them.

Shelley

samjangi

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
Thanks guys I had got as far as starting to look at Angel policies but could not find one for Dovecraft stamps especially-- think now Trimcraft.

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
Thanks guys I had got as far as starting to look at Angel policies but could not find one for Dovecraft stamps especially-- think now Trimcraft.

Found this about Dovecraft/Trimcraft which might be of interest http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-46957.html - always worth e-mailing or writing to the people and finding out what their policy is.

Also found this http://www.littlebit.com/angel/angellistcomplete.htm - list of places with Angel policies.

Shelley

samjangi

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »
I will email them and let you know-- if you are interested that is!!! Thanks for all help and advice- great as always

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
That 2nd link is great, Shelley.  I can't believe how many are on the list.  Thanks.  :) Mel

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
Thanks Shelley! I have been looking for sea-side stamps and have found a couple of companies on the second list with just what I have been searching for!   :D :D

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:36 AM »
Glad the list helped.
Shelley

Shirley

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Really useful list, Shelley, thank you.
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
very useful thread and great links. This is not an issue we often remember to consider in polyclay, is it. But it is an important one of course.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Di

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »
Sorry, I have only just seen this - I now try to buy all my stamps from angel companies because of this issue but there are some companies who make it very difficult to find out what their policy is. Some companies will give you permission if you email or write to them.

Di  :)

samjangi

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »
Thanks Di
I will email if I intend to use something. Had a mad idea about using my own stamps too!!