EJR Beads

Author Topic: Feeling discouraged- any advice?  (Read 6738 times)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
Re: Feeling discouraged- any advice?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
Amanda, don't be discouraged.  Just remember that you're gaining experience and learn from your mistakes.  Like you, I tried to use a thin layer of Fimo deco gel recently to protect the surface of a pendant as I'd read in one of the Donna Kato books that you can do that.  Anyway the following photo is the result. 

A bit of a disaster to say the least.   Then yesterday I distroyed half a block of pearl clay because my pasta machine was in desparate need of a clean and I'm a teribble one for putting things off!  Anyway, I used it to make a Stroppel scrap cane along with all the bits of clay that had accumulated in my pasta machine and I quite like the way it turned out.

Stay positive!!

:) Mel

oncejewellery

• I love beads :-)
    • Once Designer Jewellery
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »
Thanks Mel! Glad I'm not the only one :) x

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 05:23:06 AM »
Mel, eeewwwwwe !!

Ps. I added black to the begining of a extrusion log
Today and you should see the mess I ended up with

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
LOL Jan.  I've always wondered how to spell eeewwwwwe!  :) Mel

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »
Maybe there should be a post for all the eeewwwwwe's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carol

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »
Good idea Carol.  I imagine it would be very entertaining.  I'm having a recollection of beads resembing rabbit poo! LOL   ;D Mel

Shirley

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »
Good idea, I'll take a picture of my "slug pellets" when I get home from work and post them too, they are HORRIBLE.
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
I made some FOUL beads once - well, tell a lie, I didn't make them  my ex did - but we both had a small business making and selling the beads back in the early 90's so I sort of feel responsible for them even if it wasn't my desk they came off.....

anyway.... they were rancid. Not only did we make that classic mistake of picking up translucent instead of white, but we also burned them and they were gross to begin with.

I ended up selling them some years later on ebay as the "ugliest beads in the world" and the buyer distributed them amoung her beading group. Each lady had one or two beads to use and some of the amazing creations they made featuring these beads was outstanding. I wish I had photos.

The beads were still ugly, bit worked into beautiful designs that made a feature of their ugliness suddenly it all seemed to work.

Now, had those beads come out nice that day, I doubt I would even remember them now! Nor would I have learned to check really hard never to mix up white with the trans!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 11:28:21 PM »
I'm learning to enjoy making mistakes as you really do learn more. I've created some really lovely canes that began life as something completely different! You just gotta learn to enjoy the ride! ;D

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
Plus, there are so many cool ways to use up failure canes. Try making natasha beads from them for example. or cutting slices with a zigzag blade.

If you get your colours and your contrast right in clay projects, usually everything you make is salvagable one way or another.

Emma

oncejewellery

• I love beads :-)
    • Once Designer Jewellery
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 11:07:13 PM »
I've loved making Stroppel canes with my scraps and failures! They never fail to look good :)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
I'm not sure about the "They never fail to look good" part, Amanda.  I have managed to make an ugly one!! :o  I attempted to make one with pearl clay after seeing Jan's (made with white, which was stunning) and let me tell you, it's not pretty! 

:) Mel

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »
I think pearl and metallic clays are very hard to use in canes, especially mica based ones which can get that dullness from the mica shift effect on their cut surface.

I'm not saying it can't be done - sometimes some metallics in a cane can really boost things and of course mica shift canes themselves can be spectacular.

But I have often found that if making a cane that's reliant on crisp pattern and definition, the metallics soften the effect too much so that when reduced the cane can look wishy-washy.

Emma

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 04:45:22 AM »
Hi, All,
This is my first 'real' reply, so don't go too hard on me!  I stumbled on this group as I had just made the ugliest block ever.  Pink, Blue, Trans, some foil somewhere-I just needed to get away from it.  I have some covered beads burried somewhere in my pile of cornstarch waiting to be cured.  Maybe I won't even bother to dig them out.  I need to make something 'safe' and bring me back around to normal.

I spent the afternoon reading Lisa Pavelka, and think I'll concentrate on Lizard Tails, or Allegators, etc.??  Sometimes you just need to return to basics.  Thanks for listening to my vent.

Hugs, Bonipie 8)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:41 AM »
Ah Bonipie!

We have all been there. And when using translucents, it can be really hard because the bead colours tend to look so different before baking to after. I cannot tell you how many times I have thought the beads going into the oven looked great colours, only to find once baked I hated them!

But sometimes that can work the other way too - maybe once baked your beads will be a lot nicer than you anticipate, so I think its worth baking them and digging them out of the cornstarch!

And if you still don't like them  - well, chalk it up to experience and try again I guess!

Emma