EJR Beads

Author Topic: Help my white is turning pink  (Read 4070 times)

happy cake toppers

Help my white is turning pink
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:11:43 AM »
Hi

Just wondered if anyone else has this problem, I use predominantly fimo for my cake toppers, but a major problem I am finding is that if I have to bake red and white (which is often doing wedding cake toppers) my white is taking on a pinkish colour from the red...

I have tried a lot of things to avoid this, and if possible I bake everything seperate, if I cover the white in tinfoil that generally stops the problem, but this isn't always possible I have just spent 2 days making a motorbike  and baked all the white bits first then added the red accents but still the white has gone pink... I'm really peeved as I will have to hand paint over the white bits to make them nice again...

If anyone has any ideas how to overcome this I would be really appreciative..

Thanks a mill

Berny
x

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Help my white is turning pink
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »
Is the red clay actually on the white - or just adjacent to it?

I am trying to work out if the dyes in the red clay are bleeding into the white through contact, or if the dye is somehow travelling in the air and contaminating the white clay that way.

Have you tried using a different brand of red clay out of interest? Or a different brand of white for that matter?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
If you sand a white piece that is baked pink and it is white below the surface then you have an exterior contamination problem
ie. your hands were stained or you worksrface.  Even that little bit of what looks clear greasy smudge on work surface will color
white exspecially red.

If it is turning  Tan/pink and sand and the color is solid clear thru you may be over baking ( high temp.)  or too long a of a bake time

when i use white and i want it to stay white i add Sculpy Ultra light (White is the only color t comes in)  it seems to stay pure white .
usually a 50/50 mix but ultra light has an differnt feel to it that you have to get used too

STAR SANTA SUIT 3 by jembox, on Flickr

STAR SANTA SUIT 2 by jembox, on Flickr

this is a mix of 50/50 Ultra light an premo white

samjangi

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
Hi Jan
I was eavesdropping your advice about the white clay. Can I ask what is the strength of the clay like when you mix it 50/50 with the ultralight? I have never used it but sorely tempted.

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
I dont know that it is any weaker  it might be a little more flexable  but ti think for some thing thick or a structure like a cake topper it would be good.

I wouldn't play baseball with it !!

samjangi

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:16:29 AM »
Thanks Jan!! I will give it a go.

kscottcrafts

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 01:23:13 AM »
Baby wipes and lots of them is my solution to this- wipe your hands after touching the red and before touching the white, then every time after you handle the white pieces wipe them gently with the baby wipe so any minute bits of red don't transfer on to it