EJR Beads

Author Topic: Pour n Mold same as Zubber?  (Read 12012 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Pour n Mold same as Zubber?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »
While searching for moulding compounds, I came across Oyumaru Moulding Compound which is softened in very hot water and used to make an impression. After a few moments it's firm and useable as a mould - polymer clay was used apparently successfully in a demo video.  It  looks good so have ordered some to try.....watch this space!

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
Jan, I'm sorry. I did try though.

Carrie, I'm watching.

:) Mel

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 06:04:17 AM »
It will get here soon . Has any body ever tried hot glue sticks a a mold ??
They seem pretty rubbery

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
I'm having a bit of trouble visualising what you mean, Jan.  Do you mean a glue gun stick or Pritt sticks?  I would image they would both be hard to work with, being sticky, and very messy, but I could be wrong though.  :) Mel

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
I've heard of people using silicon caulking material for mould making too.

But I personally don't see the point when there are so many easier-to-use alternatives. I find moulding materials a bit like varnishes - I wasted way too much time trying to find "the perfect one" and always just ended up using scrap clay! But I do far prefer the rigid moulds over the flexible ones for my polyclay and ceramic moulding needs. I think for flexible moulds, any of the RTV compounds are good.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

jembox

• jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 06:49:32 AM »
I mean the hot glue gun sticks - suppose you lay a  3/4 inch metal button face up, oil it , Frame it with a 2" circle cutter (oiled also and sealed around the outside with a snake of clay) and then filled with hot glue to cover button I bet you would get a perfect mold I would have the button pre heated and on a tile to give the glue more time to settle in . I have in the past melted into candy mold and came out with a perfect rubbery copy. I have also taken a small glass piece out of a miniture frame and drizzled layers of of glue around it to make a new funky shaped frame I Chilled each layer so that when i added next layer I could build up textures and dots. I painted with gold translucent glazing paint . It came out looking like a clear molded  resin with a gold shimmery  transucent veil. you would never geuss it was hot glue. This was before I found Polymer clay

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 07:14:17 AM »
urm - I think it all sounds like a feasible idea. But if I am honest, I think that would fall in the "life's too short" category for me  ;)

Emma

jembox

• jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
LOL Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »
I like using polymer clay most of the time too! 

However I have had fun trying out this Oyumaru stuff - it's playing really - which i think is what it is designed for!!
One advantage over polyclay though is that I don't need a release agent for the mould.  Also, it sets firm quickly and can be used at once - no waiting to bake a polyclay mould before using it 8)

You just pop the bars of stuff into near-boiling water till they soften and mould it a bit then take your impression.  A big disadvantage for anything larger is that it firms up quite quickly, so really it seems best suited for flat pieces.  The instant make and use is extremely appealing though  :)  I trimmed edges with scissors and you can resoften it.  The moulds are surprisingly hard.

Here are my quick (unbaked) try-outs - a double-sided bead using a button for the mould and two bits from a mould of a tree charm.  Quite a crisp image I think. 

jembox

• jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
Can you  recombine the molds  into one mass again when you reheat or make 2 blocks into one piece for a bigger mold?

What about makeing a flat texture sheet ?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 11:08:33 PM »
It will all re-soften so if I only wanted to do a few from a mould I could re-use the stuff. It came in 6 sticks of 58 x 7 x 15 mm and they would all mix together.
Impressions from texture sheets would be an excellent use for it - you could try out the negative of a bought one and if it's no good just re-use the stuff.  It's flexible enough and strong when very thin so would be very good to go through the pasta machine which is a real plus.

But it's the instant nature of it that appeals the most!

jembox

• jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 04:04:40 AM »
I want some this Instant !!!

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
urm - I think it all sounds like a feasible idea. But if I am honest, I think that would fall in the "life's too short" category for me  ;)

Emma

Emma, you're so funny!  I think I might have to agree with you.  :)  It does sound like it would have looked pretty cool though.

Carrie, that stuff sounds really good, I might have to give it a go too.

:) Mel

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
I had some stuff that was like small plastic pellets that did the same thing - you would soften in warm water and compress into a blob and use it to mould or model things. It ended up very very rigid when cool and could be re-used. I didn't find it very good for moulding so never persued it. Can't remember the name now ....

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
It could be the same.
THis was no good when I tried to make a mould from the cap of a tube (as a cupcake mould) because of it firming up too fast but for quick impressions it's fine and as you can re-use it you don't have to worry about waste if you don't like what you've done. 

Just got it for fun really  ;D