EJR Beads

Author Topic: Finding come out  (Read 2838 times)

bsilverman

Finding come out
« on: August 14, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
I made some earrings and find that in about 50%, the findings pull out too easily. I fix the problem i cut two pcs of cane and bend the finding and them put the two pc together. This fixed the problem but the two pcs of cane usually dont fit together that well and it looks very amateur-ish. It also take a lot longer to finish an earring. Had hoped to simply cut the cane, insert the finding and cook.   Any suggestions? 

rubyrube

• Carol
Re: Finding come out
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:18 AM »
You can make a loop at the end of the wire and push into the clay, then gently push and smooth the clay back ino shape. You can twist the ends of the wire together, (making sure the part which shows is the shape you want) then bend the twisted shape and again put into the clay. By using shapes of wire in the clay it is much harder for it to come out once baked.

Carol
Carol

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »
You can also just remove the findings and glue them into place after baking.

For small loops into cane slices, I've found that superglue holds really well, doesn't react with the clay and is easy to apply neatly.

If you were gluing clay to bigger findings like barettes or brooch bakings, or doing something that will take a lot of pressure and torque, try using a two part epoxy glue instead as its stronger.

For just gluing hoops into dangles though, the superglue is fine.

In all gluing cases though, scratch up the metal with rough sandpaper first, wipe it over with meths or something to clean it and let it dry. That will give you a great key for the glue to grab to and makes a big difference in how strong a bond you get.

I did a project for one of my books making a charm bracelet with cane slice dangles. Gluing in the hooks with superglue worked brilliantly when done that way. In fact, when I tried to remove some of the hooks, the clay broke away before the hook would come out

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Shirley

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »
I use either an eye pin, or a short piece of plain wire and make a loop on one end. Then I just make a 2 dimensional squiggle with the rest of the wire, that will fit in between the two cane slices, carefully press the slices together and smooth the edges, and bake. This seems to work well.
Shirley

KMD

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
I usually use a flat head eyepin and make a hole through the middle then make a loop at the end you are hanging, if your slices are quite thick you could make a slit in the clay then push a small jumpring in and gently squeeze the clay togther, I ususally do this with some pendants and it fixes well.

Karen

bsilverman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:28:40 AM »
Some great ideas and methods! Thanks everyone!