EJR Beads

Author Topic: How can I make my own clasps?  (Read 8944 times)

KMD

How can I make my own clasps?
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
Hi, I know quite a few of you make your own clasps and toggle clasps, I dont want to set up anvils ect for hammering so where would I get started to make a simple clasp or toggle clasp, I have books which show hammering ect but is there a basic where I can start? where would I buy the metal from?

Thanks
Karen

Shirley

Re: How can I make my own clasps?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »
You don't need an anvil to hammer on, I have a piece of old metal I found in our garage, which I cleaned up. Not very big, a couple of inches square.

There must be some tutorials online to show you how it is done, I make mine from a tute I tore out of an old magazine. I maake mine just using silver-plated wire, about 0.9mm, maybe 1.25, and shaping with pliers. Hammering the shapes when made just makes them hold their shape better, I find.

I will see if I can find an online tute similar to the one I use.
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
I would check out some wire working books and mags. They often have projects for clasps that don't require that much more than some wire and pliers.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
I second what Emma said. It's quite easy to make nice S shaped clasps just by bending the wire around your round nose pliers.

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »
I use a smooth granite pan trivet I got from Asda ages ago for hammering. It's about 8"x8" and 1" thick so it won't break or chip or anything. Plus I use it to bake flat clay pieces on too.

Because of forum rules I can't give you links to places to buy metal, but there are a lot of online wire suppliers and you can get it at craft shops or bead shops. I've head of people stripping copper earthing wire from DIY shops as well.

And I recommend getting some copper wire to try first - it works almost exactly the same as sterling silver (it's the same hardness and it work-hardens in the same way, near enough) but it's way cheaper for practising and you can move onto more expensive metals later if you want. A packet of copper wire costs me about 2 at my local bead shop.

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
You can also make your own toggle clasps using Polymer clay. I have done a couple for pendants and they are quite easy. If I remember I will try and find a link on how to do it. If not I am sure that one of the other lovely ladies here will point you in the right direction.   :)

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
I really love working with wire and making my own clasps and stuff. Definately start out with brass or copper first as it's cheaper.

I tend to use a 1.2mm wire for clasps as I like them strong and chunky. Have a nose on places like Etsy for other handmade clasps to get an idea for shapes and sizes...

All you need really is some wire, round nose pliers and a hammer. Hammering helps to work harden the wire once shaped. You would need something to hammer on too.  I have a steel doming block I used for beadcaps so I just turn it over and use the flat side for hammering. You'd want at least an 8oz or 16oz hammer too. 8oz works fine for me.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Here's a basic video.
 http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-hammered-shepherds-crook-clasp-223520/

I have hammered things using a smooth bit of DH's workbench metal and an ordinary hammer, protecting my piece with some thin cloth...not necessarily the neatest result but perfectly acceptable  :)
It doesn't need bashing hard, btw, just to work harden something so that it doesn't lose its shape - because it's not always necessary to flatten something.

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »
here are some toggles i made out of clay.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jembox/4731654379/in/set-72157626722778629

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jembox/5548776716/in/set-72157626847455600

How do you get your pictures to be a 192 KB ????

Try looking at http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,160.0.html, if you are trying to post pictures direct to the forum.

Carol
Carol

KMD

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
Fab advice ladies and gents thankyou, I would really like to make them from Clay, the only thing I am concerned with is how to get them the correct size so the straigth end fits properly and is either not too big or too small????

Karen
x

jembox

• jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »
here are some pics of toggles i made, the big bright one is really comfy to wear.

kaleidoscope pendants 3 by jembox, on Flickr

leopard cane toggle by jembox, on Flickr

THIS ONE is an adjustable slide on size fits all the cord is about 23" when slides are closed.
As you pull them apart the necklace gets shorter. they stay in place very well. I use them on Buna or 1.8mm clear stretch cord.

back side United Way by jembox, on Flickr

jembox

• jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
Oh - I like the sliding ones, Jan!!

jembox

• jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
Thanks Carrie  they are really easy to make !!