EJR Beads

Author Topic: shiny beads  (Read 2394 times)

shazzeruk

shiny beads
« on: July 02, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »
hi

I was wondering if you guys can help me?  when i finish my beads - i have made two sets - v beginnerish!!  They always look quite matt, which i do like but i have seen lots of shiny ones on here.

How can i get my beads shiny? 

Shaz
x

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
Re: shiny beads
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
polish them - hard work!
varnish them - easy work!  Emma sells the varnish on the shop site
you can also go for half way - wax them with Renaissance wax - Emma sells that too

Im just a beginner myself tho so for the techy stuff - someone else will be along to help you!

Di

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
Sand them with wet and dry sandpaper - if you search, I'm sure there's something about it on here somewhere. Then varnish or wax and buff, or just buff with a soft cloth. It is personal preference really. I am not a great fan of varnish because I love the feel of the clay without it and I am rubbish at applying it. There is definitely a thread about finishing off with "Klear" if you search for it.

Di :)

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »
Like the others have said, there are various ways to finish. Do some tests and see which you like, we all have are fav one. Mine is the wax. Part of the learning is just playing and seeing what you like. Don't forget to check out Emma's shop as she also sells sanding pads.
Carol
Carol

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »
I love my micromesh sanding pads, but for small or round beads I use a rock tumbler - much less work!

I buff with a piece of old denim and sometimes apply two or three coats of Klear. I've been meaning to try wax but haven't got round to it yet.

Just as a tip though, polishing or varnishing anything that isn't smooth to begin with is a waste of time. Shininess just emphasises the fingerprints or imperfections. I personally hate seeing thick coats of gloppy varnish as well, but that's just me!