EJR Beads

Author Topic: Roller Contamination  (Read 6334 times)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Roller Contamination
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
How do you ladies stop the rollers on your pasta machine contaminating your clay, specifically when you change colour from a dark clay to a light clay?

I clean my rollers with a paper towel but find that clay from the last thing that I put through my pasta machine often contaminates what I am working on. I have tried taking the cutters off the bottom (from a tip on glass attic) but this just leads to the clay sticking to the rollers. Any tips?

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Re: Roller Contamination
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
I think I've been lucky and touch wood at the mo, have never really had that problem. I have two PM's. One seems to put tiny little ridges in everything - and always has - if I hadn't stuffed clay in it I would have taken it back at the beginning.  The other sometimes sounds like it's going, but is still going. Never really had a serious problem with contamination. Sometimes I've turned it over and de-gunked it (surgical spirit and very careful removal of stuff with toothpick). Desiree always promised me if we ever met she would take it to pieces and clean it properly for me. But I haven't been brave enough to take anything off of it or do anything to it. I do wipe it over regularly with baby wipes (when they dry out and if they aren't filthy dirty, I add some baby lotion to them). I've been told that would ruin my machine and I should never use baby wipes or surgical spirit. I use both regularly and have done for over 10 years and it's still going (I really should be careful what I say though!)

I'm not sure about taking cutters off the machine. i thought they were necessary. Not sure what bit you mean. i know the bit in the front (fender?) you are meant to be able to remove. I've never done it. If you want a nice cleaning tute go to desirees site. http://desiredcreations.com/howTo_Desk2.htm. If you scroll down that page she has several really really good tutes from basic cleaning the machine to completely taking it to pieces (eeeek!)

Shelley

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
Well, I am a bit naughty and do what everyone said was a no-no after I was given this tip by Kerry Venner - I rotate my machine the wrong way, and as I do so I press the little blade underneath against the roller.  Using an old dry face flannel or tea-towel I wipe off the amazing amounts of clay that come round. I do this with both blades.

No - don't take off the blades!  The bit you might want to remove is just the covers as Shelley says so you see the rollers clearly...although I did this with my last machine it wasn't a lot of help - it wasn't until I used the above method that I started to get rid of most of the clay to clay contamination.  Mind you, if you are making a blend or conditioning clay a lot of odd bits of other colours will just blend in anyway.

The other thing Kerry said and I think she must have been right is never use baby wipes because the oils they contain can react with the metal and that's when you get those annoying oily black streaks in your clay.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:54:16 AM »
I'm lazy. I give the rollers a quick wipe over with meths.

Then, I roll a sheet of scrap clay through the machine, and before its quite finished, turn the handle the other way and reverse it back through the machine.

I go back and forth a couple of times and any rogue bits of clay go onto the scrap clay.

Not foolproof but seems to work well enough for me and its quick.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
Never thought of rolling the handle the wrong way! Mind you I have a motor so it only goes one way unless I was to disconnect it.

And yes I was told to never use baby wipes - and I do. Could be it's my machine and it would react differently with diff machines. I'd hate for you to ruin your machine just cos I use baby wipes and you think it's fine to do so.

Shelley

Di

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
I use baby wipes all the time, then I use dry tissues to get rid of the moisture.
I do sometimes get the same problem though Peter, depends how regularly I clean up! I try not to need pure white very often ;D

Di

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions ladies...has certainly given me food for thought. I also use baby wipes and haven't had any problems with them so far. Will certainly try the backwards through the machine method and see if that helps!   :)

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
I use baby wipes, I never heard that you shouldn't :-\. I roll the rollers backwards while holding a sheet of kitchen roll against the blades underneath, Loads of clay comes out, don't forget right up to the sides as well.

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »
I take mine to bits & clean the lower blades. Removed the upper guides yonks ago.

I now have it down to a fine art - you've seen the film of soldiers stripping down & reassembling a rifle blindfolded? 
Substitute a pasta machine for the rifle................. 8)
Simples  ;)

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
As much as I want a pasta machine I can't help put be put of with the cleaning aspect. I see it as something that would drive me crazy!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:19 AM »
The cleaning pales into insignificance against the ability to quickly and easily roll out sheets of clay, condition and colour mix and do colour blending.

And the more claying you do, the more you will be wanting to try out different techniques that require sheets or blends. For example mokume or millefiori canes etc.

Whilst there are lots of claying tools you can live without, very few of us would give up our pasta machine without a damn fine reason!

Emma

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 07:56:29 AM »
I know I couldn't live without mine, and my extruder comes a very close second

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
I couldn't live without my pasta machine or the motor that goes with it!

Shelley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
I recently got a motor - and whilst I love it, it does create that problem that I cannot easily reverse the machine when I need to.

I didn't realise how often I do actually do that until I was prevented. Wish the motor had a reverse gear!

Emma

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »
Yet somehow I'd never even thought of reversing it! It is relatively easy to disconnect and stuff a handle in, so I prolly ought to do that some times. But it saves my elbows no-end. I would have had to stop claying my arms hurt so much.

Shelley