EJR Beads

Author Topic: Ideas for covering these?  (Read 2994 times)

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
Ideas for covering these?
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
I've just bought a very tall, skinny bookcase from Ikea with 6 shelves. I plan to put shoe size cardboard boxes on the shelves to hold some of my craft stuffs, beads and what not.

The boxes are rather boring though and I want to funk them up.  I thought of clay but they're quite big boxes and it would cost a fortune, so I was thinking of doing some kind of decoupage.

What kinda things would you use to cover the boxes pictures.  (18"x8"x8")

Shirley

Re: Ideas for covering these?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:14:53 AM »
Ooh, what fun!! I would make collages for each box using a different theme, or a different colour pallete for each one so that you can tell them apart. You can then cover them with that see through sticky plastic, and they last a lot longer. Or maybe you could add some photos of things you've made?

We got some boxes like this for my daughters room about 10 years ago for her bits and bobs, she covered them with pictures and plastic and they are still going strong! She included some photos of her and her friends on them too, which makes them a bit more special.  :)
Shirley

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:45:18 AM »
Ooo, never thought of using sticky back plastic! I was thinking modpodge but SBP would be much better in protecting them etc. Will have to go and order a roll. 

My craft room is my living room so I may use my colour scheme for the living room so they go with the decor.

Paints and inks might be an idea too or some sort of mosaic...will have to get my thinking cap on eh!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »
I would cover them with nice papers, or plastic coverings etc and then maybe make a few clay embellishments, just to jazz them up a little further!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
Why don't you try that PVA glue stuff (think it is called MUD or something) and make a collage on each box from magazine cutting, photo's etc.