EJR Beads

Author Topic: Keeping blends narrrow  (Read 2203 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Keeping blends narrrow
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
Skinner blends seem to get wider and wider - so I use some sections of 3/4" wooden dowel - one is 3 1/4" long and the other's 2 1/2" long, and place them on the rollers touching one end. 

Then I make my blend - the dowel helps to keep the blend narrow.  Some clay does go underneath a bit; if this happens then gently hold the dowel down.

Shirley

Re: Keeping blends narrrow
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:17 PM »
Clever idea, I must try that. You could have different lengths of dowel to vary the width.

Thanks!
Shirley

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »
Now why don't i think of things like that, I just stick my finger against the rollers and hope that it doesn't get squashed.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
Great tip Carrie - must try this

If I want a narrow blend, I hold the end of a paintbrush to the end of the clay where it is going through the rollers.  But that ties up one of your hands, so your tip sounds a lot better.

I have also seen people make little spacers out of scrap clay rolled into a sheet, to take up the slack when rolling blends.

Have to say though, I usually want the blend as wide as possible anyway so tend to work to the full width of the machine (in fact looking for a wider one for this very reason)

But there are certainly times when you want to keep the blend tight and narrow, aren't there

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies