EJR Beads

Author Topic: Folksy v Etsy  (Read 7404 times)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Folksy v Etsy
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
Hi all!

I am slowly getting round to organising myself and thinking about getting an on-line presence. Now I know some of you use Etsy and some of you Folksy (and some both!) and was wondering if you could give me recommendations on either or both (and if there are things that you don't like about them then that would be helpful as well). All info would be gratefully received!     :)

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Re: Folksy v Etsy
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
Can't help you with either of those - I've just started an account with Arfire. I don't know about the others, but the thing I liked with Artfire was you don't have any fees to pay for the basic account. Only had it a couple of weeks and no sales so far, but I need to add more to it. If it takes off I would probably upgrade. All my on-line sales are through my website that I built using a customised template through zencart. Not the easiest of things to customise but it works for me. There I can sell anything I want - bought in stuff - whatever.  Whereas on places like Arfire, Etzy etc. it is limited to hand-crafted, supplies and vintage.

For me most of my sales are not through the website. My customers at shows do sometimes buy later on the website, but mostly they use the website to find out where my next show will be and see me there.

Sorry I can't help with Etzy, or Folksy etc. Thing I don't like about Artfire is that everything is in dollars. Although being in the UK when I go to the front page of my site on Artfire I see things in pounds, in the back end you have to enter it in dollars which can be confusing.
ShelleyM

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
Sadly I am in the same position as Shelley - never tried either in earnest for sales.

I do have an etsy account, but never got further than listing a couple of items as a test, which long since expired.

I think with either site though, its competitive now and those who list regularly and market their work well will probably have more sucess. Etsy has a forum with lots of info on how to "do" etsy well, not sure if Folksy does as well?

Etsy is one place I would like to learn more about myself - its just I never seem to get the time. So I will be watching this thread with interest too and hope that someone with some Etsy / Folksy smarts happens by soon!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
I too will be interested in replies....I really must try and sell some things!

With all the competition on those sites I can't imagine new sellers getting noticed unless they were exceptional/really different etc.

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »
I have a shop on both - Folksy tends to me mostly UK sales and very much more devoted to hand crafted.  I've had more sales through there than Etsy but almost all my sales have been my hand made copper and silver clasps and findings.  Just a couple of jewellery items. 

Etsy is more global, especially USA and Australasia.  I've had a few sales on there but not many.  There are a few foreign cheapcrap shops on there - god knows how they manage to stay there as they break all the rules but I think the management turn a blind eye because they make so much money from them.

Folksy charges are 20p to list but you can list up to 5 of the same item for that.  Etsy charge 20c but thats for each item - so if you only have 1 of something to list, its cheaper on Etsy but if you have multiples up to 5, Folksy is cheaper.

Etsy is a lot bigger so its easy to get lost amongst the thousands of pages of stuff!

hope thats of some help.

Faith x

ilkidesigns

• Ilki designs
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
Hi Peter
I have accounts on both Etsy and Folksy, and have also tried Misi.  I should clarify though that while I love making jewellery, and have recently discovered polymer clay which has taken me over completely, my only aim with having a prescence on these sites is to have a method of passing my makes on so that I have the funds to make some more!!!!  In other words I am not trying to run a business and make a living.
As far as Etsy is concerned I think you need real commitment to make a go of it.  I think you also need to invest consistently.  It is such a busy site that competition is very, very high.  The showcases come up for sale at midnight (on american time), so you need to be up very early in order to get booked on to the showcase sites.  Without the showcasing you will find that listings can move from the front page to page 10/20/30+ in minutes, particularly for jewellery.  I did sell some pieces on Etsy, and do still have an account, but have not been active for some time.  I also think you need to sell internationally of course.
As far as Folksy is concerned, I personally, have found this easier and more successful for me.  I have limited sales to the UK on Folksy, but am sure if you sell internationally this will increase sales.  Folksy is very cheap, and does not have showcases that you buy.  However, this may mean that your goods are not showcased at all.  However, if you list on a fairly consistent basis, this will give you front page prescence.  I have also found the sales I have made do not seem so dependent on how recent the listing is.  I have also found that if I have queries Folksy respond fairly quickly.
Finally, I tried Misi and I found it difficult to use and did not sell ANY items at all!
Most of the jewellery I do sell is actually via 'word of mouth', local craft fairs, party plan, and my own website.  However, those that are sold on my own website are really 'word of mouth' in that the people who look at my website are already known to me.

I am not sure how helpful all that is, and I would stress that as this is my hobby, I am not dependent on sales, and therefore possibly not as committed or aggressive in my selling as I would be.

Whichever way you go, good luck!

Gail ;)

PS Whilst nervous about the skill of my polymer clay creations so far - I am keen to post some photos in the gallery but can't work out how - could it be my photos are too big?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
Do you use photobucket or flickr?  Don't know if the size of your pics is indeed the prob but it's easy to edit the size/crop etc on those sites...and on photobucket the image code link is very easy to find!

Thanks to both of your for your views on the selling sites  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
If you are posting pictures hosted elsewhere - eg on flickr, your own server etc - they need to be no bigger than 500 x 500 pixels

If you are uploading them as an attachment to our forum - they need to be no larger than 128 Kb

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
Thank you ladies! You have given me food for thought!   :)

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »
Was on Folksy for over a year and had one sale. I've been on Etsy for about 10 weeks and have had 12 sales.  I think Esty gets a lot more traffic and if you're prepared to post over seas then it's fine.

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
I sell on Etsy, which I especially like now I can set my shop prices in (customers in other countries see them in their own currency).

I don't sell loads, but I'm really not working hard like I should be. I get many more views when I list regularly, post on Facebook, etc, so I should get myself into gear and try to post somethieng new every day or so.

I think it's swings and roundabouts really - Etsy's criticised for being huge and bloated making it hard to stand out with all the jewellery sellers on there, but it also has a massive customer base. If you're promoting outsideEtsy,  listing regularly and tagging appropriately and especially if you're filling a niche (steampunk owls, anyone?) then customers will find you.

A good proportion of my sales are to the US, but I get customers from the UK and Europe as well. I can't see that Folksy would give me the same number of sales as it's so UK-centric, to be honest.

With any of the sites you can't just expect to list items and sell them all in days. They all require you to work on some or all of the following to make sales: good product descriptions, great photos, SEO, marketing and promotions, etc.