EJR Beads

Author Topic: Have I made a brilliant discovery???  (Read 12626 times)

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
Re: Have I made a brilliant discovery???
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »
Dogs can be the same about smell, especially the little fussy types. You know the ones with the owners who say, "Oh little Precious has such expensive tastes, she'll only eat M&S poached salmon," like the dog can tell which supermarket you've been to! ;) Stick something smelly like a tiny bit of garlic in ordinary tinned dog food and warm it up (also makes it smellier) and any dog will take an interest.

My auntie had 6 shi tzus who would all only eat chicken and rice, cheese, squirty cream and raw potatoes, which is of course not a good balanced diet. I offered many times to get them on real dog food (or at least get them to eat veggies) but she didn't approve of my simple method - I'd offer food and if it wasn't eaten I'd take it away. Repeat next meal time until the dog's hungry enough to eat the food. Of course a dog or cat's going to refuse ordinary food if it knows from experience that the human will give it chicken once it turns its nose up at dinner!

Mind you, my dog's a Labrador and therefore she'll eat pretty much anything! So far she's only refused lemon/lemon juice, raw chilli (she'll eat stuff cooked with lemon/chilli), wilted lettuce (she likes crunchy iceberg stuff), rocket and green olives. Sometimes she'll eat raw carrot and sometimes not, but she loves raw broccoli, cauli and cabbage.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
I had much the same argument with my mum and brother about their pugs when they went down that whole chicken-and-rice crazy street!

Luckily they finally realised that boiling up chicken and rice for the little moogs is more work than they wanted to carry on doing. So eventually, as you point out, a dog who is hungry enough will eat what's put in front of it.

And we are talking pugs here, they are SO food orientated, it didn't take more than one missed meal for them to cotton on!

I still think animals deserve variety though - I don't like the idea of them having to eat the same flavour thing every day, especially cats who do seem to get bored easily. But there are enough foods on the market and supplemented with the odd bit of this and that from the kitchen leftovers and most animals have quite a nice time of it I think.

My mum's pug loves veggies - especially broccoli stalks. My brother's pug is not so keen on those. She just looks at you with this "I am not eating that s***" face on her and turns around and walks away  ::)

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Jessica

• Jessica
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
Completely agree Emma about animals having variety - I couldn't imagine eating (say) pasta every meal!
Dogs can be really odd about food. The dog living down the street from me will take strawberries over bacon any day, and my dog used to like marshmallows...
but now she really does have to eat just one special **** food because of her diabetes. I think there might be some relation between how my dad always used to feed her marshmallows, and her current diabetes  ::)
Awesome how we went from talking about baking polyclay onto ceramic to this topic  ;D ;D
Jessica

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »
Lol - I think most of the threads on this forum end up going severly off-topic!

Very often we will stumble our way back to the original point of the post though. Although not always!

Emma

Jessica

• Jessica
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
I think the main (original) point was pretty much made. So we can talk about the taste of cat food as much as we want  :D
Jessica

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
I made my brother eat some.  :D

He can also tell you what every different type of cat kibble tastes like. (By and large, they are very salty apparently. No wonder cats have kidney probs  :o )

Emma

Ewwww - Emma!! Reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode where they had hardly any food left and  Lister had the choice between pot noodle or cat food and he ate the cat food. Apparently he really did eat the cat food, which is why he made such a wonderful awful face! No thanks!

We had a cat that used to adore baked beans and quavers, or crisps. Oh and she also liked those sherberty love heart sweets! Polly cat on the other hand was soooooo fussy. She did have stomach problems towards the last few years of her life, and we had terrible trouble getting her to eat anything at all. So yes I used to cook up fresh chicken and fish for her. She would have happily starved to death at that time rather than eat much. It kept her going for a few more years so it was worth it.

My SIL had a cat that would go absolutely bonkers for mushrooms, she was known for jumping on the table sliding across quickly and wacking them off the table or peoples plates so she could eat them (the cat not the SIL). Cooked or raw, she didn't care.

ShelleyM

Shirley

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
My current cats go mad for sweetcorn, preferably still on the cob so that they can nick the whole thing off the plate. Then they hurl it into the air to get the bits off and gobble them down.

My very first cat ever liked beetroot (cooked but before the vinegar), he was a strange cat in lots of ways!
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 09:57:05 AM »
Our old cat Munchie is insanely in love with peas. She goes nuts for them.

Mind you, she goes nuts for any and all food now. She is 19 and has kidney problems and thyroid problems. We don't have her on medication for the thyroid because of the kidney stuff - with the view that, she's had a good life and we just want her to enjoy what is left without daily meds stress.

Anyway, the vet gave her 3 months to live tops. Only no-one told Munchie because that was 3 years ago and she still seems very happy. Thin as a rake, constantly hungry she is eating us out of house and home, but still jumps around and enjoys the garden and seems purry and happy.

I found her with her head in a bowl of cooking oil the other day  :o

Emma

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »
We had a cat a while back who would hear the rattle of a malteser box at half a mile!  he was mad for them!  but we had to bite them in half for him because he didnt want the chocolate! lol   the same cat used to eat red hot chillies off the plate - we picked one out of curry one day and gave it to him  to teach him a lesson for trying to grab food off our plates - haha it backfired - he flippin loved 'em!.

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
We had a cat a while back who would hear the rattle of a malteser box at half a mile!  he was mad for them!  but we had to bite them in half for him because he didnt want the chocolate! lol   the same cat used to eat red hot chillies off the plate - we picked one out of curry one day and gave it to him  to teach him a lesson for trying to grab food off our plates - haha it backfired - he flippin loved 'em!.

LOL - that's typical of cats!
ShelleyM

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »
Years ago my cat Anna ate some frozen kidneys. She didn't really have any weird food tastes, but she did steal when our back was turned.
Carol
Carol

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »

Oh yeah - one of our Birmans loved maltesers too. We had to suck all the choccy off first for him though!

Emma

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »

Ewwww - Emma!! Reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode where they had hardly any food left and  Lister had the choice between pot noodle or cat food and he ate the cat food. Apparently he really did eat the cat food, which is why he made such a wonderful awful face! No thanks!

Gotta love Craig Charles. He once signed my breast (he insisted). ;) And insisted that those of us who'd waited meet him after his stand-up show for autographs have a drink with him.

Polly cat on the other hand was soooooo fussy. She did have stomach problems towards the last few years of her life, and we had terrible trouble getting her to eat anything at all. So yes I used to cook up fresh chicken and fish for her. She would have happily starved to death at that time rather than eat much. It kept her going for a few more years so it was worth it.

Ah, now an animal with health issues is different - if it's all they can/will eat for a medical reason then I'm all for it. I just can't stand people who spoil their animals, give them an unhealthy diet which will shorten their lifespan and lessen their quality of life and then complain about how inconvenient/expensive it is when they caused the problem in the first place.

Feeding sensible balanced human-type food because you're concerned about the quality of commercial pet food or the additives in it is also fine as far as I'm concerned.

My lab is perfectly happy to eat the same dry dog food every day, which we supplement with (balanced) kitchen scraps, and occasionally I'll cook rice/pasta, mince/chicken/eggs and veggies for her to replace some of the dry food. The cat we used to have got occasional tuna or chicken as well but he was never fussy and would eat any brand of cat food.

The cat I had as a kid had a thing for supernoodles.

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
My dogs will eat anything given half the chance, a few years ago the spaniel stole a corn cob off a dinner plate and ended up having surgery, good job we had insurance. Bark chippings are another thing which they all like to eat. I think leftovers are a good thing as it adds variety, they seem to be disappointed if they don't get any.
Carol
Carol

kscottcrafts

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »
Good to know about all the things you can cover! I've only ever covered boring prebaked polyclay things and tinfoil.

Haven't logged on for ages because I've been uber-busy doing business related stuff, but I must come here more often because I love all the cool tips I pick up on this forum! 8)