EJR Beads

Author Topic: Hello from South London  (Read 2796 times)

jackcat

Hello from South London
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:14:35 PM »
Hi all, it's a long time (too long)  since I did any clay work, but am feeling re-inspired by you lot!

Jackcat (Sarah) x

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Hello from South London
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
Welcome Sarah!

Defo think you should run with that inspired feeling and get the clay out this weekend!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

jackcat

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »
I've had some blocks of fimo tucked away for years, will it still be usable do you think?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »
Quite probably.

Being a tight mare, I used some quite old Fimo this week for my blending article. I needed quite a lot of two colours and the two large 8 year old bricks sitting there in my box were calling to me.  ;D

I had to condition about half a large block of each colour and to be honest, it was a bit tedious but certainly possible. I sliced the clay and rolled it through the pasta machine. Then took the resulting crumbly mess that that created and put it in a polythene bag with a couple of drops of baby oil and smooshed it about a bit.

The smooshing did naf all, so I took to whacking it about for a while with a wooden rolling pin.

then back to the pasta machine for a few (ok many) rollings.

Was it worth it? Well, yeah actually it was. It conditioned up lovely - and stayed lovely, once I had broken its spirit with the rolling pin. But it was a lot more work than if I had just gone and got out some new stuff.

This was the older formulation Fimo - I think the newer formulations have a much longer shelf-life, but even the old Fimo can be coaxed back into life.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

jackcat

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
Thanks Emma, I will dig it out

Graceful-Orchid

• Lynne
    • Lynnes Jewellery
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
Hello Sarah and welcome,
I had the same with a navy Block, I should of tried that but I ended up chucking it!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:56:02 AM by Graceful-Orchid »

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:27:16 PM »
I've had some blocks of fimo tucked away for years, will it still be usable do you think?

For some reason I have tons of old clay that I wish I could use up. I'm getting there slowly slowly. Another way to condition ancient clay is mixing it with new soft clay. Start with the new clay and soften it really well, then start adding the old clay to it in thin slices. If I do it that way I find that it comes together quite well. Just add more old clay to it as your mix gets softer. Also pressure from the hands (or a hefty mallet/rolling pin) works really well. The compression seems to work and get things moving better than continously through the pasta machine IMO.

If I have old clay and don't want to add new clay to it I use a mini food processor (dedicated to clay - you can't clean one of them to use for food again). It's only worth getting one if you can get one cheap (think a quid from a car boot) or you use it a lot. I use it a lot and really need one. Cut up slices of clay as you would for putting through the pasta machine, and break into bits and put in the processor. Add a few drops of clay softener and pulse on and off. If should turn into fine grains that eventually start clumping together a bit. It shouldn't take more than a minute at most. If it doesn't clump then add a couple more drops softener. Once it starts clumping STOP. It'll be too thick and clumpy to chop with the processor and could break the machine. Turn the clay onto your work surface and either scrunch together by hand and then roll til smooth or roll over with your brayer. I clean the machine and blade out with a baby wipe (unplug first!)

BTW - I prefer softener to baby oil - I find if it's very old clay and needs more than a drop or two of oil then baby oil tends to make the clay structure weaker, and it's useless for translucent clays - it clouds them up - or at least it did mine!

Hope that helps
Shelley

jackcat

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
Many thanx