EJR Beads

Author Topic: My Sutton Slice Attempt!  (Read 7465 times)

averilpam

• Averilpam Design
My Sutton Slice Attempt!
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
I decided to try the Sutton Slice technique but found it really hard on my fingers which hurt like hell after a while.  I ended up leaving it unfinished and the next day when I went back to it a lot of the coloured clay started to crumble and fall off! 
How does anyone get it to stay put? Ought I to roller it and squish the pattern down onto the background clay? Otherwise how do I stop it from drying out and crumbling off?
Any suggestions?

sutton slice attempt by averilpam, on Flickr

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
Re: My Sutton Slice Attempt!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
strooth that looks complicated! 

averilpam

• Averilpam Design
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
It's easy enough to do, you simply press clay into the dips in the texture sheet, then when you've done it all you put it face down on a sheet of clay and press hard all over it to get the clays to stick together, then carefully peel off the sheet.  that's the easy part!! Getting it to stay put was my problem as the tiny bits of clay in the gaps dried out very quickly.  There's a link to a video tutorial somewhere on here, I can't remember where it was posted, someone else may remember.

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »
I've never tried this technique so I can't help you I'm afraid but I just wanted to say that what you did looks really good.  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:02:11 AM »
I think it looks fab - and sort of like the fall-ey off-ey bits as it happens.

I've not tried this technique myself ( in polyclay that is  -I have done similar techniques in ceramic clays)  but maybe you need to have the base clay a little stickier somehow so the oils will leach into the applied parts and keep them supple?

I would experiment with things like mixing a *little* clay softener, Mix Quick or liquid clay even into the base clay and see if that helps at all.

Or maybe try smearing a little liquid clay over the base sheet before you apply it, then leave it in place overnight for everything to ooze together and then remove from the texture sheet.

No idea if either of those ideas would work - but thats the sort of stuff I would be trying out on the off-chance.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Di

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
It looks good to me, I've always thought it looks a really difficult technique.
I've got that texture sheet and I love it!

Di :)

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:47:52 AM »

Or maybe try smearing a little liquid clay over the base sheet before you apply it, then leave it in place overnight for everything to ooze together and then remove from the texture sheet.

Well I've never even heard of the Sutton Technique, but that looks amazing and will definitely be trying it, I would say what Emma said, seems the logical thing to do to me

Fionamitch

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
It looks really good, and rather difficult I'd never heard of this before

Very impressed

Fi

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Sorry can't help, never seen this before. Looks interesting though, will add it too the list of things to try.
carol
Carol

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »
Much, much better than my initial attempts! I put it back in the pile marked "a technique I will master another day"    :)

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
It does look awesome, and it's a technique I've been meaning to try for a while now. Maybe I'll find some clay time today!

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »
wow - that doesnt sound so difficult although like most things, probably not as easy as it sounds to the inexperienced waller!    I rather like the "fallen off bits" look too - it gives it a sort of antiqued look.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »
Well, it looks pretty good to me!!  First attempt - wow  8)

It's one of the many things on my "to try" list as well....I was shown some amazing examples by someone last year but they were all small pieces......perhaps that's the way to go?

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:06:11 PM »
I've never heard of it either it either - but I'm impressed with what you've done  :) I feel a quick Google coming on  ;)

averilpam

• Averilpam Design
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
Thanks everyone!  That particular attempt crumbled out of existence before I could make anything from it.  I think using something to soften the clay may be the way to go for me next time.