EJR Beads

Author Topic: Faux leather  (Read 3646 times)

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Faux leather
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
As there was a chat going on in one of the other threads about faux leather - I found this free tute - http://www.polymerclayweb.com/leather.asp

And bonus - if you click on 'tutorials' you get others come up as well. Hadn't found this site before, thought I'd share.

Shelley

KMD

Re: Faux leather
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »
Thanks Shelley its perfect ;)
Karen

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:12:36 PM »
Great Shelley, I'd seen that before but forgotten about it, thank you! I love the antiquing.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 11:13:05 PM »
Cool technique, very realistic effects

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
Here's another example of Faux Leather

http://arteesvida.wordpress.com/2006/12/11/faux-leather-clay/

Emma

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
Thanks guys, is nice to explore new sites.
Carol
Carol

KMD

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:05:33 AM »
After playing with one of the tutorials, I would advise not to go down as low as 2 mm with premo, it will snap. Although it is a faux look and ideally you will want it to flex you will not get the flexibility without breakage. So it is purely cosmetic look. Unless there is a more flexible clay out there?

Hope this helps
KAren

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
2 mm probably is a bit thin for any polymer clay to be used alone as tags, pendants etc. I would start at around 3 mm, and to be honest, better still a little thicker yet at around 4 or 5 mm.

The other thing is to be sure you are baking to the right temp. It can make a lot of difference to overall strength if your oven is off by even 5 degrees. If you don't have an oven thermo. you could try eeking the baking temp up a little if the clay is coming out brittle rather than flexible (although Fimo Soft and Sculpey 3 will pretty much always be brittle in this scenario)

Finally you could try a stronger clay - I find that cernit is tough as old boots when baked correctly.

I am sure your Premo will be fine too though, just I think you need to make it a bit thicker than 2 mm. No clay will perform at its best in sheets that thin.

Emma

KMD

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
Yes Emma Ive had no problems with other stuff as I never go that thin but the tutorial said 2mm so it flexes like real leather, just thought I'd advise as I have tested it!

I will be making all the rest thicker.

I will be trying cernit for some tiny sclulptures I said in previous post I will try to make shoes for top of my boxes, they kept breaking as they are tiny so I will be buying some cernit from you to try..

My first keyring I posted was about 4mm and its perfect.
Karen

KMD

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »
After playing with one of the tutorials, I would advise not to go down as low as 2 mm with premo, it will snap. Although it is a faux look and ideally you will want it to flex you will not get the flexibility without breakage. So it is purely cosmetic look. Unless there is a more flexible clay out there?

Hope this helps
KAren
After my above tip, I did some more tests, Make sure the clay is baked at the correct temperature, I advise anyone to make some test subjects as Emma is always telling us!  I still personally wouldnt go down as low as 2mm.

Karen