EJR Beads

Author Topic: Emma's article about selling  (Read 4352 times)

Di

Emma's article about selling
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
I indulged in a magazine, Making Jewellery, this morning (wanted something sweet and sticky really but trying to cut down) and found Emma in there writing about selling. I enjoyed reading it Emma but it came to a rather abrupt end - the editor is obviously trying to entice me into buying the next mag but I don't think she will succeed! I think I will reread the rest on your website. There is a polymer project in there but not by Emma. I always get tempted by magazines but then get immensely frustrated at the sheer number of adverts and stuff that I've seen before and wish I'd spent the money on a book instead.
But - Emma's is a good article.

Di :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Emma's article about selling
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:35:24 AM »
Ah thanks Di!

The reason the article appears to end abruptly is that it is continued in the next issue.

The editor asked me to write an updated article based on the one on my website. So the articles in the magazine are not exactly the same as the one on my website, which was written a few years ago now. Just the subject really was too vast to be condensed down into one article for the mag so we spread it over two.

So it wasn't the editor trying any marketing tricks, I promise you. It was me who suggested splitting it up. With the best will in the world, there is only so much infomation you can get into an 850 words space.

Sorry to hear you won't be buying the next issue - I think MJ is a great mag and I usually learn lots form each issue. I think getting content that works for everyone's differing needs must be an absolute nightmare for any editorial team. But I know that Sian is very committed to geting good quality polymer clay articles into MJ though, so I am sure there will be lots to look forward to and I am sure everyone here will tip you off anytime there is a "must have" article you might want to see.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Di

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I agree there was some good stuff in there Emma but I had decided I was going to stop spending on mags!
It is good to see more polymer projects around though and I will keep my eye out in the newsagents.

Di

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
I know what you mean - when I cleared out my lampworking shed and saw how much glass stock I had snaffled away, I decided there and then to go on a glass diet and not buy anymore for a long while!

Emma

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
Easier said than done! I was not going to buy any more books, but took a little look online and found that I had purchased two new ones without ever remembering what I had said till it was too late. Was worth it though am really pleased with the Donna Kato book. Maybe I forgot on purpose!!!!!!!!!!
Carol
Carol

KMD

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »
i brought it too, havent had chance to read it yet though!!
Karen

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
lol  - its a crafter/artist thing isnt it - hoarding!  I mader a pact not to buy any more lampies till I'd used up half my stash - so I went and bought loads of clay stuff instead!  what am I like????

I have to make a real effort not to buy buy buy........and I'm not very successful ::)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
I make promises not to buy this and that, and mostly I am very good.

But then I just think "ah sod it - we're only here once afterall" and remind myself that I am actually supporting British business, so its really my moral duty to buy the thing I am drooling over.

I did once spend a couple of years where I did nothing creative - didnt even have my bead stash where I was living at the time and to be honest, I went a bit wrong in the head. So I have come to realise that sometimes, its actually imperative to my health that I keep buying crafty bits and bobs, beads etc.

I bet there is many an other-half out there spending way more on golf / their car / lap dances etc than we spend on our little "needs" anyway.  ;D

Emma

KMD

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
My creativeness keeps my hubby sane so I have a great excuse!! he'd go nuts if I didnt have anything to occupy myself with whilst he was doing his thing... LOL
Karen

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
I have to say I did read your selling article I found on your website, after buying my kit & it helped me no end! It's given me the confidence to price my existing stock properly & not price it way to cheaply thinking people would only pay this n that!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »
Oh I am pleased you found it useful.

In my experience, when someone's work doesn't sell, it is rarely because it is too expensive. Very often its for another reason or just the right buyer hasn't had chance to see the work yet.

So often people who make and sell will under-price rather than over-price their work.

Emma