EJR Beads

Author Topic: Critique  (Read 4036 times)

Chameleon

• Chameleon Designs
Critique
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
Anna & Emma were talking about crits in another thread and I though I would start one (hope no one minds me jumping in !) but particularly as a beginner to the medium I would find it really useful to have some structured feedback.

I would like to make a couple of suggestions to help focus it more than generic "ooo I love that" or ""not keen on that" statements if thats ok.

What Im thinking of are things like -

What does a piece make you think of ?
Do you think the colours work for the composition ? / What do you think of the shape of the piece with the pattern ? (or the pattern with the colour etc)
Can you think of any other artists whose work is similar, whether in technique / inspiration / "style"  ? (Particularly being a newbie to all this I really dont want to be stepping on toes, but it is always interesting to see how other people approach things)
Can you see any glaring things technically wrong with a piece ? (as I might easily have missed them !!)
Is there anything about the work that you think might need to be revised or re done ?
How would you imagine this developing ?

Comment on as many or as few points as you like and feel free to add things I havent thought of  :) Likewise if you want to add pictures of your work for the same "treatment" feel free, or if you want to link to a listing for a critique of that instead.

(and i must apologise for quality of pictures, i cant believe it but polyclay is even worse to photo than glass !! the blue is much more subtle and the set of beads more colourful  ::) )

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
Re: Critique
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:24:52 PM »
I have to say those are gorgeous before I start Becky!

The first one to me looks like a picture from space - a star exploding maybe, with bits of debris shooting away from it. The colour, shape and pattern all work well together and the shimmer is great. It may be the picture, but it doesn't look perfectly round to me - is it supposed to be? There's nothing wrong with not being round, but maybe you could exaggerate the irregularity if that's the look you're going for, if you see what I mean. I like how it combines a very modern, futuristic kind of look with an almost distressed pattern with the lines radiating out from the spiral.

The top middle bead in the second pic seems to be a little flat on the bottom edge. And maybe a little more time smoothing the edges? I like the curved lines and dots and the colours. With both sets the finish looks good and I don't see fingerprints or similar which is fantastic.

I have been a bit nit-picky here (so apologies if I sound negative) but I assume you've posted them here because you want to improve your work and want to fix any little "problems". It did take a bit of thought to find things to pick on because I really do like them.

Oh and on the photos, I'm seeing some graining which would suggest that there wasn't enough light when you took them. Maybe some natural light would help? The pis are otherwise nice and clear and show the detail well.

Hazel

• Continuum Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
I think they're beautiful Becky, and you've brought the same colour magic to polymer clay that you bring to your glass :)

You asked about similar styles - this posts highlights some artists currently working in the area of 'scribing' which may inspire you some more :)

Polymer Clay Daily

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »
Hi Becky

I can find nothing in your design, colour choice etc that I would feel needs improving in those pieces. They really are beautiful and look impeccibly made.

When you then consider how new clay is for you still, it becomes even more astonishing that you are producing work of such calibre - both technically and aesthetically.

However, mainly because I cannot tell what the pieces are, its hard to evaluate them. All I can say is that my first impression is that I really like them. The design works for me, the colours work for me. In all, it makes me want to see more - which is always the sign of a good design. I wish I could find something to point at and say "oh well, that could be more so-and-so" or "that aspect should be more this-quality or that-quality". The truth is though, I just cannot find anything to point at. They are those types of pieces that make me , as a clayer, say to myself "wish I had made that!"

The top one is stunning (reminds me of The Little Prince artwork for some reason). With the bottom ones - I am assuming it is a set of beads? But if so, there are some things I cannot tell - like if there is a hole and how it is made (ie, would it be structurally sound, is it neat?). But I feel that you already "get" clay and how it works so these things are non-issues I expect. The glass beadmaker in you will make you naturally tuned in to those aspects of polyclay beadmaking. So I am sure all the practical side of ensuring the design is useable, that it is strong enough, that holes are not too close to the edge or any of the clay too thin etc will be something you will take account of as a normal part of your design process.

The photos are a little washed out colourwise - but you already know that and that is just a case of getting used to photographing claywork. It can be quite different to glass in how it behaves in front of the camera!

Lastly you asked about other similar artists. I have to say that from the moment I saw this style, I was put a little in mind of the current work by Barb Fajardo and wondered if you had maybe done an online class or tute of hers.
 (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barb-Fajardo/40806667276 ).

There may be other artists working along similar lines and of course the techniques are very much public domain ones. (Early Sarajane Helm work also uses a lot of colour blocking and antiqued texture designs for example)  So I am not by any means saying you shouldn't be doing that style of design or that you have copied or anything like that. Just it was Barb who sprung to mind when I read your question asking about similar artists. So I guess if you are not aware of her work, you might want to check her FB or website out. This is a VERY subjective area though - what one person sees as a similarity, others might see as polar opposites.

As for how you progress your design from here -I don't think I could offer any advice at all!  I just know whatever direction you DO end up taking it, it clearly will be fabulous because you are scarily good at this already  :)

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Di

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »
I am amazed at how good your first makes are but then perhaps it's not so surprising given your skills with glass. You are probably already good with colour and shape and used to finishing things off really well. When I look at old stuff of mine some of it was awful  - so much does come with practice and I think that is especially true of the neat finishing of pieces. Your pieces are lovely and look very wearable but the great thing about clay is it doesn't matter that much if something turns out rubbish - you always learn something and it's not an expensive disaster!

Di :)

Chameleon

• Chameleon Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
First off thanks everyone for commenting and huge thanks for saying such nice things too. I have been so pleased with how some of the things have come out but its very difficult to be objective about them.

Thanks Anna, yes i think the pendant is off round and it was mean to be round lol, but my shaping skills are not what they should be, im doing stuff by hand so i guess its practise. Hmm i didnt notice the dink in the bead and very bothersomely I cant find which bead it was !! Very odd !! THe photos are very bad, its very very bright sunshine here at the moment so it was natural light but in the shade job due to horrid shadows  ::) mornings are best for photos at the moment so Im going to try and get some more better ones tomorrow I just get too impatient lol.

Hazel, thanks for the link, that is such an amazing site !! and I love Rebecca Watkins work, had me in paroxysms of OOooo's lol  :)

Emma, thank you, I have admired your work (in all media) for a very long time so your comments mean a lot !! And lol yes I should have said that they are a set of beads and a pendant. I saw Barb's work the other day, courtesy, I think, of the eye candy thread and was totally wow'd by it, so much detail and so precise, I noticed she has a online class thingy and I think I will take it when I can as her work is amazing and I would love to know more about the how she does it bit ! I will have to look up Sarajane Helm as i havent come across her work yet, so thank you for that :)

Thanks Di, and I think that is one of the things I love so much about clay already, it feels such a liberating material because it is relatively inexpensive in both material cost and time to try things out and if they do go horribly wrong it can be used for something else so I can just experiement to my hearts content ...well, I could if work didnt get in the way lol  :)

Thanks again everyone  :-*

Shirley

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
As a beginner I'm not particularly qualified to comment on how your beads are made, but I do love the geometric patterns (appeal to my mathematical brain) and the subtle colours. I would definitely want to wear these. They look classy and unique. I think they would look good with handmade( rather than bought ready made) findings. I could certainly see the pendant being worn by either sex. :)
Shirley

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »
Well all I'm going to say is that if those are some of your first clay beads, then look out everyone because you are heading for the top.
I really like the soft colours ( I think I said that somewhere before  :)) and the pattern which does look sort of distressed as Anna said.

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »
Becky can I ask what sort of clay you used to make these beads please?    They have such a lovely soft texture look to them, the colours really work for me -  I would definately wear then.  I can only echo the comments above.  You must be a natural!

Chameleon

• Chameleon Designs
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
Nan !! Thats sweet of you to say, now you made me blush  :-*

Faith its all premo clay, its predominantly just a bit of colour mixed with white and translucent and I have applied powders and foils to the surface of the raw clay (its like finger painting all over again, its great lol)  :) so i do need to do some work on protecting them before i get too exciteable and make too many more !

Shirley, thank you, I have started to put the pendant together but having had a quick illicit play with it yesterday I think it will require some fiddling to get how i want it. I was going to sand the bottom down and then bezel set it in silver but i got a bit too impatient so I have drilled some holes to suspend it on a wire, it just needs something to add a bit more visual weight to the wire now, which is what is i suspect going to cause me headaches lol.

KMD

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
Becky, I dont think you need your work critised its great I especially love the colours of the bottom photos.

KAren

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments Becky.

I do agree with Karen though - its very hard to actually find anything to point at and say "oh well, you could improve that"

You just seem to have hit the deck running with this clay lark!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies