EJR Beads

Author Topic: Adding to Folksy  (Read 3448 times)

KMD

Adding to Folksy
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:46:55 AM »
Hi all

Can you help me build my folksy shop?  I have problems with the photos How can I get them the correct size?
Karen

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Adding to Folksy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »
Hi Karen

I don't use Folksy myself, so not sure how much help I can offer. I know some members here do use it though.

That said - maybe we can still help out with the image problems.

What size images do you need for your folksy pages? Also what image processing software are you using?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

fluff

• Faith
    • Abyjem Hand Made Jewellery
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »
Karen depending on what photo software you have - I find the best size image is around 1500 x 1500 pixels.  The more square your photo the better as Folksy will automatically cut off the sides or top & bottom to make it square, often losing vital parts of the image.

If you cant make the image itself square, the other option, depending on your software is the change the canvas size.   So the image is whatever shape you want it but the canvas size is square - your photo would have white space filling in the edges to make up the square.  I hope that makes sense.

I use this facility with my photods for Folksy because of their silly "images have to be square" criteria.

I use Serif for my photo editing - it was a free edition and it does me for just about all my needs.

KMD

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »
Thanks, I will try changing the canvas size I was being lazy didnt want to take loads of new photos, its quite annoying they cut off the photos!  All my photos seem to be oblong :-\

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
I find it helps to know the specs of the hole you are trying to fit first.

All the large photos in my shop for example need to be 400 x 320 pixels. So obviously, they don't come out of the camera at that size!

Now, if i just change the size of the canvas or the size of the photo - I end up with all the background and the beads all tiny.

So I use the crop function in photoshop to crop the image to the right dimensions, framing the shot how I think it looks best.

Once cropped, the image can be resized down to the correct size and any other correction on the white balance etc done.

Emma

fluff

• Faith
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
I do very much the same Emma -  its particularly difficult with Folksy photos when you are selling something like a watch  because the nature of the thing means a long thin photo but of course, it wont come out like that - they just chop off the ends. This is where the canvas size comes into its own.   I normally post one photo of the thing in its entirely, cropped and then canvas tweaked, and then a close up, square photo of the important bits.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
I'm only ever really doing one photo at a time, for my stuff so usually have to opt for the close-up or curl the thing around to fit it into the frame.

I don't think I actually understand what the canvas tool does. My photoshop knowledge has been aquired very much on a "need to know" basis  ;D

Is the canvas tool thingy something I need to know about and should learn? I know there must be sooooo much more to photoshop than I use it for and I am sure there are lots of great tools I am missing. Its just finding the time to learn it isnt it.

Emma

fluff

• Faith
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
I dont actually use photoshop,  I have a freebie version of Serif but I think they do very simialr things. 
Basically if you imagine the canvas as like a real canvas and the photo as the picture or painting on the canvas - so you may have any size canvas you like and the photo can be any shape on that canvas, as long as its witin the boundaries of the canvas size.  You can choose where on the canvas the photo sits, i.e. top right hand corner, or bottom centre etc.

The canvas tool is handy for things like Folksy as they cut photos to a square - so as long as you make your canvas square, the photo within the canvas frame can be oblong, square or any shape you like - I hope that makes sense,

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »
I dont actually use photoshop,  I have a freebie version of Serif but I think they do very simialr things. 
Basically if you imagine the canvas as like a real canvas and the photo as the picture or painting on the canvas - so you may have any size canvas you like and the photo can be any shape on that canvas, as long as its witin the boundaries of the canvas size.  You can choose where on the canvas the photo sits, i.e. top right hand corner, or bottom centre etc.

The canvas tool is handy for things like Folksy as they cut photos to a square - so as long as you make your canvas square, the photo within the canvas frame can be oblong, square or any shape you like - I hope that makes sense,

That makes perfect sense - will have a fiddle with the Canvas tool next time I am playing with Photoshop - sounds to me like they would do the same thing.

Thanks for the explanation!

Emma

KMD

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:35:13 PM »
I'm going to give the canvas tool ago, I use photoshop, I really dont want to redo all photos although I have posted a few on here for quickness and they were a bit shaky lol really should use my tripod!!
Karen