EJR Beads

Author Topic: learning difficulties & polymer clay  (Read 4716 times)

Ultraviolet

• Debbie
learning difficulties & polymer clay
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
(sorry if this isn't the right place to put this) I recently found out I have dyspraxia which explains why I don't always understand fully the instructions for making any kind of jewellery but what I want to know is there books on polymer clay that are really easy to follow? I brought 2 books from a shop which seem fairly easy to follow but I would like a different one. the books I have are food & animals (which is for icing but it says can be made from clay).
If you can't find me its possible I'm watching TV!

Graceful-Orchid

• Lynne
    • Lynnes Jewellery
Re: learning difficulties & polymer clay
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
Hello Debbie, I have a book Called Making Polymer Clay Beads by carol Blackburn, I found it quite simple to follow

Oblibby

• Lisa
    • Oodles of Obliciousness
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
How about tutorials on Youtube - there are tons of them?  Would watching someone make it easier for you to follow than reading instructions?
Lisa xoxo
My Blog

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
I think probably all authors and *certainly* all publishers will hope their books are easy to follow. It is a big issue to most publishers.

But, easy to follow is probably quite a subjective thing.

Amazon often have a "search inside" feature for the books they sell, so you can see example pages before buying. That might help you decide if a book is going to work for you. Very often, if you cannot find the search inside feature on the UK amazone site, you will find the same book on the US amazon site has it.

Also, when books are for sale there, they will sometimes detail how many pages and how many photos. If there seem to be a lot of photos for the number of pages, that may be a good sign that they are detailing the steps more clearly. I don't know about you, but I always find it easier to follow instructions if they are well photographed too

What types of projects are you looking to make? Will you be wanting to do modelling, or make beads and jewellery? If you let us know what type of claywork you want to do, I am sure people can recommend some books they have found to be pretty clear and easy to follow

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »
How about tutorials on Youtube - there are tons of them?  Would watching someone make it easier for you to follow than reading instructions?

That's a really good idea.

I always forget what a wealth of info there is on Youtube

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Ultraviolet

• Debbie
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »
Thanks everyone, I would like to make some beads & I feel the more picture the better. I made my own in air drying clay in white & terracotta, the terracotta came out funny as they seemed to have some sort of fibre in it & it went dry very quickly when handling. I made some tube beads with left over polymer clay as I wrapped them round a cocktail stick. But they had pointed edges & I wasn't sure what to do with them.A book on making my own beads round & square. Will post pictures when I'm at home of what I've already had a go at.
If you can't find me its possible I'm watching TV!