EJR Beads

Author Topic: Should I place my clay into cold oven or temp reached oven?  (Read 1479 times)

Charlie

Hey Guys,

Few baking questions:

1. Should I place my clay into cold oven or temp reached oven?
2. Should I let the oven cool down before removing baked clay?
3. I have noticed from researching many clayer's bake a lot longer then the brand specified time, why is this? And should I do this too?

Thanks, Charlie
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:33:04 PM by Charlie »

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: Should I place my clay into cold oven or temp reached oven?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
Hi Charlie

Most go for preheating the oven first  -   I don't.  My oven doesn't like this, it is digital and if the door is opened after it reaches temp, it can drop down and not always return to full temp.
I remove baked items to cool down.
Have heard leaving clay in longer can make it stronger.

Conclusion;  make a few test tiles from scrap clay (as you are new this can be discarded ends) and find works best for you.  Test different lengths of time and different temps.  I use Fimo professional, label says 110c, I bake at 130c

Good luck
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
I use a halogen oven and it isn't practical to preheat because of the way pieces are loaded in from the top. 
I most often leave things to cool down in there but for no reason in particular.

Some cheaper toaster ovens spike in temperature while they are heating up so it can be better to preheat those.

If you preheat you do have to make sure you're allowing enough time for the clay, tins, tiles, etc that you load in to rise to the correct temperature.  So always use a separate oven thermometer and start timing once the correct temperature has been reached, and bake for as long as possible.

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:26:46 AM »
Another tip.  Leave a ceramic tile in the oven, it helps to retain heat.  We have one permanently on the bottom tray of our oven.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:19:51 AM »
Thanks monkey ann & Carrie

I'll do some testing with scrap clay and I'll pick up up a ceramic tile too :)