EJR Beads

Author Topic: Hi Guys  (Read 442 times)

Charlie

Hi Guys
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
I'm Charlie,

Very new to clay, baked my first pieces last week and have been procrastinating on baking again as have major dust issue, hoping you guys can throw me some newbie tips on how to not ruin my pieces with dust.

Looking forward to learning more and hopefully showing some pics once I get over the newbie hump.

Charlie

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Hi Guys
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »
Hello, Charlie - welcome to the forum.

Sorry you've got a dust problem.....the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you cover your pieces after working on them, and while they wait to bake. I have found some babywipes are terrible for fluff so do't know if that could be a problem....

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum Charlie!

Yeah, dust is kinda every clayer's nightmare really.

Very often the dust that gets into our claywork is small fibers etc on our hands. The only way I have found to minimise this is to wash your hands well before touching the clay, but - and this is the important bit - don't dry your hands on a cloth towel or paper tissue. Just let them air dry. It will take a few moments, quicker if you do the chicken dance, but the results are well worth it.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Hi Charlie, yes dust is a nightmare, some of us have cats too. I often produce furry pieces, it's funny how cat hair is invisible until you bake! But I can't add anything useful to the above advice, just keep at it. Have fun!