EJR Beads

Author Topic: Lightfast clay?  (Read 610 times)

Beadbug

Lightfast clay?
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »
I've been thinking about making a nameplate for our house as a way of using up the ends of some canes, but, I don't know if the clay will stand being blasted by the sun for half the day. Will it loose colour or just disintegrate over time. The other thing is rain, will that also be a problem? If anyone has made pieces for a garden how have they fared, did they need a special coating, are they in the shade?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Lightfast clay?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:56 PM »
Ginger at the Blue Bottle Tree mentions this - scroll down this page and look under 'myths'.
https://thebluebottletree.com/seal-polymer-clay/
Basically she suggests that the clay could fade but any coating you put on will be less durable than the clay itself.
She wrote more about this subject, showing some things she'd had outdoors for ages, but I can't find that now.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:03 AM »
I made a mobile windchime thingy from turquoise and yellow clay that hung in the garden for years without fading.

I have no end tale to this experiment though because one day, as I was looking at it, a squirrel came and worked tirelessly to unhook it from the tree and ran off with it in his mouth. Don't know why - the thing was bigger than he was.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »
That's so funny, Emma!  Where was your camera when you most needed it.....

Beadbug

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:41:19 PM »
Yeah I would have loved to see that too!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
It was one of those moments, you know - when you are absent mindedly staring out of the window and just watching what is happening without really taking it in. I suddenly sort of came to and registered what he was doing after the 5 minutes of him untieing the thing just as he was leaving and thought "oi! that bugger's had my mobile away!"

I mean I had watched him doing it, so could have go and shoed him away had I been a bit more present in the moment! Still hopefully it brightened up his drey

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies