EJR Beads

Author Topic: making molds. expensive? how do you make a mold from a mold..  (Read 376 times)

Nettypots

Hi
I've been looking into trying to make some molds for my personal use.  I have lots of ready made ones.  I've looked at the putty stUffington and nearly fainted and tried the silicone  caulk,water,washing liquid thing  without success.  I have clay of most kinds, slip and the silicone 2 part liquid kind stuff but I want to make either hard molds or cheaper putty option. I also have  a silicone  mold that's  too wobbly and I want to make a harder mold of the mold but not figured out how.   Sorry for long message I work in spurts 😄

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: making molds. expensive? how do you make a mold from a mold..
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
You can make perfectly good rigid moulds out of your scrap polymer clay as long as they don't have projections and undercuts etc.  Dust with cornflour (cornstarch) or lightly spray with water before use so the clay doesn't stick to the mould.
It's also easier (I find) to level the back of your pieces with a sharp blade while they're in a rigid scrap clay mould.

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
Oyumaru is good for making fairly rigid molds, has a slight flex to it.  It is a Japanese kid's toy.  Drop it into boiling water, make your rmold.  If not happy with it, back in the hot water and try again, as many times as you like.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:04:13 PM »
You can make a very good mold from talc, baby oil and plain silicone sealant. I've made several of these and find them useful for repeated mouldings. I can't give you a recipe as humidity makes this difficult, but when you are mixing start with a quantity of silicon, a few drops of oil, then slowly add the talc mixing well each time, but, don't take too long or the sealant will cure. It must be plain silicon and not have any special ingredients, bog standard silicon is what you want. Any cheap talc will do as will any baby oil. Just experiment with small amounts and you'll soon be able to make your own molds, trust me it's worth it.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
You can make a very good mold from talc, baby oil and plain silicone sealant. I've made several of these and find them useful for repeated mouldings. I can't give you a recipe as humidity makes this difficult, but when you are mixing start with a quantity of silicon, a few drops of oil, then slowly add the talc mixing well each time, but, don't take too long or the sealant will cure. It must be plain silicon and not have any special ingredients, bog standard silicon is what you want. Any cheap talc will do as will any baby oil. Just experiment with small amounts and you'll soon be able to make your own molds, trust me it's worth it.

This is fascinating! I must try it one day - thank you for sharing

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies