EJR Beads

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 661 times)

Ian1357

Hi
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »
Hi
New to forum thanks for letting me in, eventually ;). New to polymer clay. However got the miniature bug so going to use clay to help model my Doll house. So I have a lot to learn. Although I now live in Florida I am an expat.
Cheers :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Hello, Ian  :)  Looking forward to seeing your makes!

MilleD

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:49:02 PM »
Hi, welcome, what are you in the states for?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ian - apologies for the delay in processing your application. I'm struggling to wade through all the fake sign ups at the moment and sort the wheat from the chaff and sometimes the odd genuine application gets overlooked.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Sylvia

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 01:52:07 AM »
Blimey Emma - what does a fake sign-up look like?  (I assume what they want is to sell us knock-off sunglasses or Russian Brides.)

Hi Ian!
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »
Unfortunately the fake sign-ups look identical to the bonefide ones -that is the problem.

I'll put it in perspective...

Even with security codes and security questions, we've had anything up to 30 or 40 sign-ups a day on the forum at times.  Of those, only one or two might be genuine clayers. So each email and IP address has to be checked into and more often than not, emailed to ask them to verify they are real and what their interest in clay is. Not as a judgement on their claying ability - but merely to see if they are genuine potential members or just spamsters

Emma

Beadbug

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:49:29 PM »
You have to wonder what their motivation is.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
Their motivation is at best to get onto the forum and flood it with spammy advertising posts (and in fact in the early days of the forum we had this. At first, membership was left open because at start up there were literally hundreds of clayers signing up and to put too many barriers at that time seemed overkill)

Worse motivations are for them to try to find a way into the forum's server and use it to email out junk mail to their own mailing lists and other various nasty actions.

We're just a teeny, tiny forum here - but the level of attack we're under from this is astonishing. It really is wholesale now, with people employed to sit at computers all day trying to create profiles for forums. This is why the security questions get breached so easily, because whilst they fool the old robotic sign-up scripts doing it, the humans doing it can easily enough find the questions answers and take the time to sign up just as you or I would

EMma