EJR Beads

Author Topic: Great homemade sanding machine  (Read 286 times)

Beadbug

Great homemade sanding machine
« on: April 01, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
This is not my idea, I found it on YouTube. If you've seen the hand tool that you can get to sand clay you probably know that it costs about £60. Well this is an alternative that works brilliantly and will cost you less than a tenner. Buy a cheap electric toothbrush and some compatible heads, remove all the bristles with a pair of pliers, get some good double sided tape, some kids craft foam sheets then do this. Use the heads as templates and draw round them onto the craft foam, apply double sided tape to both sides of the foam cutout. Peel off one side and stick it to the de-bristled head, peel off the other side and apply a similarly cut piece of wet and dry, don't forget to mark the heads with the number of the grit paper used and e voilą you have a great wet sanding tool. Mine works like a dream, family went hungry while I tried this out!

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Great homemade sanding machine
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
I did try this some time ago though the version I saw didn't have the foam, I don't think.  I didn't work too well for me because the sandpaper wore out too fast....though I daresay 3M would last better than the no-name type they sell in the local car parts shop which I use.  I might have another go though...and speaking of the kids foam stuff, Cindy Leitz used it to make sanding pads for hand sanding, which also seems an idea worth trying.....

Beadbug

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:16:53 AM »
I think the foam acts as a kind of buffer and compensates for differences in pressure. My second session showed that there is a problem with adhereing the foam and grit paper combo to the head as the head gets wet through to the inside of the plastic. I'm going to try Velcro dots and superglue, see how that goes. Really I'm having a go at getting hand sanding and polishing right because for biggish pieces I find varnishing a proper pain, I can't abide streakiness.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »
Yes, I'm sure you're right...the foam would help to stop the sandpaper wearing out so fast.  I don't like varnish on most things and sometimes when I've used it I have had streaks and tiny bubbles.  Hate sanding though  >:(

Beadbug

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:42:23 PM »
I have Mk.2 on the go but I haven't used superglue, instead I've gone for a waterproof wood glue and two layers of foam. The second uppermost piece stuck on with the double sided tape just to make it easier to replace the grit paper. We'll see how that works.

Beadbug

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »
So, the ordinary double sided tape was no good for sticking the second layer of foam to the head. I'm now trying a waterproof double sided tape made, I believe for the plumbing trade. This looks more promising. I think this machine, if all goes well with the new tape will be more suitable for smaller pieces, my mini bench grinder still proves best for bigger ones.

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »
Try Micromesh, it has a cloth backing, is washable and may last longer than 3M
Ann from Croydon, Surrey