EJR Beads

Author Topic: Rainbow Baby - second WIP  (Read 588 times)

nannyL

Rainbow Baby - second WIP
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:11:48 PM »
So, I don't know if people have heard of Rainbow Babies? I didn't until recently.

""A “rainbow baby” is a baby that is born following a miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal death or infant loss.In the real world, a beautiful and bright rainbow follows a storm and gives hope of things getting better. The rainbow is more appreciated having just experienced the storm in comparison.""

My son and his girlfriend have 2 boys, followed by a little girl. She sadly died from cot death in April 2015, aged 27 days old. It was a truly awful time for everyone. Last year, I made them a fused glass photo frame with a verse for their daughter who fell asleep. They are now expecting another little girl in April this year, so I wanted to make something special for this little arrival, and opted for a Rainbow Baby design. I hunted the internet but couldn't see what I was after, so made it myself.

I made the tree from twisting wire (it'll get tidied up before it's finished), and the baby I made using a mould. I'm not brave enough or skilled enough to sculpt a baby. I also made some little rainbows to hang from the tree, and some little pink blocks, which I'll paint the baby's name on. I'm loving the progress so far, and hope they like it as much as I do :) I can't bake it until the bake and bond stuff is dry :(

20170223_195242 by       Rainbows :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SkbF29]
20170223_191416 by   Baby and blocks
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:41:26 PM by nannyL »

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Rainbow Baby - second WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
How touching - what a special and personal project. I am so sorry about your little grandaughter, what a truly awful thing to experience. Hopefully your new arrival will bring some much needed joy to your family though

Emma x
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

nannyL

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
Thank you Emma. It was a very tough time for us all. I have 2 grandsons as well, who helped us get through it all, they're now 4 and 3 so keep everyone very busy! And they are at the comical stages which I just love. The new arrival is due in around 8 weeks, and her name is Maggie. I know her mum will love this - she wants literally everything I make! I haven't told her I've been making this, so she's in for a surprise :)

I've now finished off the rainbow baby. I get hand tremors a lot, so the writing on the blocks isn't brilliant. I'll have to work out a way to improve on that somehow. It spells Maggie's name. I was going to add some hanging little faux crystals from the tree too, but thought it would look too busy, so I left it with just rainbows :)

Rainbow Baby

Maggie

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
I've only just seen this for some reason - I think it has come out beautifully, you've done a lovely job.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

pamelahoward

• PandaMinis
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »
This is absolutely beautiful and with such a personal thought behind it too. They will love it.

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »
Have you thought about using stamps for the letters?  Make the blocks and stamp them, then when they are baked in fill the letters with a different colour, bake again then sand smooth.

Just a thought if your tremors are making things difficult.

nannyL

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
Have you thought about using stamps for the letters?  Make the blocks and stamp them, then when they are baked in fill the letters with a different colour, bake again then sand smooth.

Just a thought if your tremors are making things difficult.

I keep meaning to look for some. It would certainly help when I need to do lettering  :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »
Places like The Range and Hobbycraft and even sometimes Poundland have sets of those small wooden alphabet stamps in different fonts, really cheap too.  That is,  if you're in the UK - though other places are bound to have them - they are probably made in China or somewhere. 

I notice in your original post you say you can't bake until the Bake and Bond is dry....it doesn't dry like glue, however, and you certainly can bake it straightaway - it cures like solid polymer clay - it's just a very soft version.

The loss of a baby is simply the most unimaginable thing to me - any child, of course - and I am so very sorry for you all. 

Nettypots

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »
Wow it's absolutely  beautiful.   I think you have greater ability thsn you give yourself credit for, I'd love you do a tutorial of the tree.  I love it all and the sentiment  behind the art piece. We all come to clay for different reasons but all get so much from it thsn the things we make. I have a progressive  painful neurological  disease that prevents  freehand  sculpting to any skill so use molds a lot.  I soon learned that even using molds a certain amount of skill and an awful lot of patience is requite different.  Hugs