EJR Beads

Author Topic: Cobra - WIP  (Read 2190 times)

nannyL

Cobra - WIP
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
After making a dragon, I needed to be playing with clay again. I'd read this stuff was addictive but wasn't prepared for just how much ;)

I looked on the internet, and saw loads I loved, but couldn't decide, so stupidly asked the husband what I should make. He said a cobra.....  :o It's made, but I haven't painted it yet, as I've got something else I have to finish before Saturday. But here's wahat he looks like at the moment:

20170217_212624

20170217_212557

20170217_212529

I'll paint him after the weekend. I fear his tongue may fall off, I broke it off once already lol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:06:13 PM by nannyL »

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Cobra - WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
Wow - that's amazing!  Hope his tongue survives....I guess some wire inside would help 'next time'!
Looking forward to seeing him finished  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Oh he is fabulous! YOu really have an eye for these critters don't you. I am not surprised you're finding it addictive, I think I would too if I were getting results even half so good!

He looks beautifully balanced too - which isn't always easy to do with polyclay sculptures. Can't wait to see him finished- although I do think he looks kinda cool in the one colour too, you really get to see and appreciate all the different textures

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

nannyL

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
Wow - that's amazing!  Hope his tongue survives....I guess some wire inside would help 'next time'!
Looking forward to seeing him finished  :)

Thank you Carrie :) I hope it does too, and yes, wire sounds like a good idea.....if there's a next time lol. I'm sure there will be, as I did have fun making him.

Oh he is fabulous! YOu really have an eye for these critters don't you. I am not surprised you're finding it addictive, I think I would too if I were getting results even half so good!

He looks beautifully balanced too - which isn't always easy to do with polyclay sculptures. Can't wait to see him finished- although I do think he looks kinda cool in the one colour too, you really get to see and appreciate all the different textures

Emma

Thank you Emma! I did struggle with this initially. I had printed off some cobra photos for reference (did my homework and learned all about referencing material), and I really like this pose. I think I spent a day and a half trying to make a bit of body and not liking it, so pulling it apart, and trying to make a head and still not liking it. I'd also thought that I wouldn't need an armature, but eventually I decided perhaps I did. It's only in the part from the head to just as the body starts to curve over the top of itself (at the base of the neck and shoulders bit I guess), but it was enough to sculpt the upper part. I did small pre-bakes along the way, just to make it easier to handle. I really like how it's turned out, especially the tail end overlapping as I wanted to get it to flow like it did on the photos....I think I've managed that. I won't be able to paint it until next week, and during which time I need to think about what I shall make next. After that I'll probably need to join PC Anonymous or something for polyclay addicts!  ;D

jackster

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
Lovely sculpting Nanny L the attention to detail is superb, loving the scales, can really appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this. Good luck with the tongue and painting, can't wait to see results  ;D

Regards

Kevin