EJR Beads

Author Topic: Attaching the Pieces of an Articulated Pin  (Read 315 times)

deboosh

Attaching the Pieces of an Articulated Pin
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »
Hello!

I'm hoping someone could offer some ideas, on what would be the best way to attach the pieces of my articulated cat pin. Initially, I'd only made it for myself to wear; and wasn't really concerned about the function.  But now I'd like to offer it in my online shop, but I'm at a loss as to how best to attach them.  I was thinking that maybe a rivet would work, and had asked a shop seller that sells them, but she didn't feel comfortable about providing an opinion.  I was hoping someone might help me on the forum?  I've attached a photo of the front, back and side thickness of the pin, which is 2 mm. The pin is approx 2.5" long, and 1.25" wide. Can anyone offer some advice? (I tried to attach a pic, but the file is apparently too large.) 
Many thanks! 

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Attaching the Pieces of an Articulated Pin
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »
Is it made of body, legs and tail pieces?  Just trying to picture it.  How do you want the components to behave, ie, loose so they jiggle around, or stiffer and therefore poseable?

Haven't made anything of that sort l'm afraid, but with more info maybe someone can help ☺

deboosh

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:18:39 AM »
Hi Carrie,

Many thanks for your offer to help! 

I tried compressing my photos, but if they don't post, I'll try to describe how the pieces are supposed to work together:

The head and body are one large piece.  The arms, legs, feet and tail attach to the body with paper eyelets.  I've pierced a hole in the middle of each appendage, and inserted the eyelet through the hole to the underside of the body.  The eyelets act like a hinge, allowing the pieces to swivel from side to side, if that makes any sense at all.

Debra
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:23:00 PM by deboosh »

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
It's wonderful!

Seeing it from the front it looks fine but l agree that if you want to sell them - and they'd definitely sell - that type of brass split paper fastener won't really be suitable.  Even though it's a brooch the sharp edges aren't comfortable to handle.  I expect if they were less beautifully made the paper fasteners would be ok!

Actual eyelets - the round ones like this
 https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=paper+eyelets&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBtvzu7qDSAhUEM8AKHfyUCD4Q_AUICCgC&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=NelMngKZSQcz6M:  won't be long enough, so l don't know what you can use.....I do hope someone else on here will have an idea......it needs to be easy to use and not expensive.  Sorry I can't offer any help  :(

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
I have had an idea which might help but on this piece your holes will be too big.

I used ball-headed headpins, in my case to hold a component on to a metal ring, but you could use them and twist a spiral at the back, pressing it down flush with the back which would be miles neater than the paper fasteners.  I had to make mine tight but you need some leeway.....here is what l did:

https://flic.kr/p/ARzgiD

Hope that helps!

deboosh

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »
Wow!  Is that ever brilliant, Carrie!  I would have never thought of it on my own.  That just might work, and I can make it as lose or tight as I wish. I would have to be very precise with the hole size, so that it stays tight, but isn't so lose that the piece 'flops' around.  I'm very excited to try this out; I made this pin a few years ago, but this challenge has always held me back.   Thank you so much!

deboosh

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
By the way Carrie, I just clicked on your site, and wanted to tell you that I think your work is absolutely gorgeous!  The photo of your covered box with the red knob, is a pic that I had saved some time ago.  It's in my Inspiration file.  Nice to know I've been talking with the artist.  Just beautiful!    ~ Deb

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
Aw shucks 😂😂😂

I am in an awful rut though and haven't made anything for ages.......
I'm rather pleased with that box - glad you like it!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:46:38 PM by Carrie »