EJR Beads

Author Topic: Tension in jewellery  (Read 4186 times)

Fimo1234

Tension in jewellery
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on getting the tension right when making necklaces and bracelets.

I tend to pull the wire quite tight so that I have less of a gap between the crimp bread and the clasp as I think that this looks better.

If I want to make them less tight how would I cover the gap? Would wire covers be a good idea?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Georgina

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Tension in jewellery
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
Remember, even when you make the necklaces tight enough not to leave a gap, there should still be just enough stretch to pull the necklace apart just a little so that the tail end of the wire can sneak into the next bead along.

You don't need to leave a gap to do this - although equally it isnt good to have your necklaces so taut that they don't flow nicely.

A good tip for getting the tension right is to arrange the necklace or bracelet into its natural rounded shape and fasten it together when crimping at the end. That way, the tension will be right for the way the bracelet or necklace is naturally worn.

Sometimes if you keep the peice all in a straight line when fixing the fastenings, you can accidently make it a bit too tight as it will naturall tighten further when curved.

Not explaining this very well sorry - maybe someone else will chime in with a better way of explaining it!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
Emma - well I understood you. I do the same thing. I secure the first end, then make sure I have all the beads butting up next to each without much of a gap at all. Then I lay it on my work surface in the shape as if it will be worn, this moves all the beads out slightly and gives a bit of gap. You don't want much, just enough for it to drape nicely. This is usually enough to get ends of wires tucked away etc. If you find in practice you've done one that has too much of a gap, then there are beads available that you can clamp directly onto wire to fill the gaps. You might be able to use bead covers for that, but I don't know.

Shelley

Pat Longmuir

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:55:24 PM »
I have noticed that, through time, gaps will occur if you use tigertail as it stretches with use.  I have used crimp covers as an extra bead at both ends to cover the gaps and this works quite well.  (I think maybe that is what Shelley was referring to in her post.)

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »
Pat - I no longer use ordinary tiger tail. I tend to use softflex and haven't noticed that stretch. When I use a thread, they do tend to stretch sometimes. Before I tie off the end I pull it to see if it will stretch out any more and I tend to do those as tighter as I know they will stretch. If they stretch too much I think I'd be tempted to get some bead covers or crimp covers, whatever they are called! Glad to know they do work as an extra filling bead.

Shelley