EJR Beads

Author Topic: My very first craft fair  (Read 3466 times)

Beadbug

My very first craft fair
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:14:22 PM »
I had been in a bit of a panic as I didn't know if I had enough stock but the other night I got everything out, laid it on the bed as a practice run and I think it'll be ok. All I need to do now is price things up and cover my display boxes with something classy for the clay jewellery I've made. Surprisingly I also have a small back up stock! I've got two booked, the first Saturday in March and May but I don't plan to do another until November. Hopefully I'll clear enough of what I've made otherwise we'll be drowning in it. What am I going to do with it if it doesn't sell? Does anyone have any advice about craft fairs? I promise to take some photos of my pitch and post them here.

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Re: My very first craft fair
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:54:06 AM »
I do a LOT of craft fairs.
Advice -
Smile (even when you don't feel like it) at all your customers/potential customers.
Don't hide your head behind a book/mobile.
Take plenty to drink
Don't let it rattle you, or put you off if you don't do brilliantly. Every fair is different, and what doesn't work in that venue that week, may be completely different at a different time of year, or different weather. The reverse is also true!
If you possibly can, try and take some lights with to light the jewellery. It really does make a huge difference.

Good luck!! And don't forget to post photos of your booth.
Shelley

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
Good luck!

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I have been looking at lighting so I'm taking my big clip on embroidery light and my smaller table light. Will post photos soon as.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
If you have someone else with you at a fair - get them in front of the table as much as possible just fiddling about with stuff. They can be tidying it up or whatever,

People often will go look at a stall where someone else is already looking. It helps them feel less self-concious or obliged to interact with the stall holder.

As Shelley said, smile and be friendly and try to interact with each customer - give them the chance to engage if they want, but let them know they are free to just browse in peace if that is what you sense they would prefer

Always have more float money than you would think you need. Take basic tools and findings in case you need to repair something on the fly or someone request something different (like maybe if you offer to do hypo allergenic earwires for those that need it etc)

paper and pen. So often forgotten when I was doing shows, I don't know why!

Business cards or little flyers printed up. Pop one in each bag too in advance so any buyers automatically get one

Shelley also raised another good point - all shows are different. And every show I have ever attended since the 80s, I have always met at least ONE regular who will tell you that numbers and profits are way down on last year. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME! lol

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Beadbug

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice Emma. I've been putting together a 'survival ' pack for the fair and it includes some tools and plenty of change. I've learned from going to fairs that they never seem to have change so I've been hogging it since I booked, so if you've noticed a distinct lack of 10p's they're probably all in my big jar! A notebook,what a good idea and some cards, hadn't thought of those I'll have to sort that. 4th March is Cday!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
I used to price everything at nice round figures of 1.00 or 0.50 denominations, so change was always quite easy

I found if I had things at 1.95, 8.95 etc I got very confused if people bought more than one thing and would need to use a calculator in the heat of the moment. But with 00 or .50 p endings to the pricing, it was always quite easy to add up multiple purchases as I went

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
I learnt to do that very quickly too, Emma! 

jackster

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »
Best of luck Beadbug, some great advice here  :D

Let us know how you get on  :)

Regards

Kevin

Beadbug

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:06:43 PM »
Rounding up the price, what a great idea, especially good for my poor maths brain!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
People also like deals on earrings I always found.

Not necessarily 3 pairs as that might be too many, but often if there was a deal on two pairs they could be tempted into buying two as often they would have two they couldn't make their mind up between anyway.

So something like 10 a pair, but 15 for two pairs  - or whatever your prices are - were always popular when I was selling jewellery at fairs. With pair deals, you could even talk freinds into both buying as they could a pair each at the bargain price. It was a great way of converting browsing/mild interest into firm sales

Emma