EJR Beads

Author Topic: Storing canes for using later  (Read 1419 times)

CraftyDad

Storing canes for using later
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
I apologise if this has already been covered but I had a look through the forum posts and couldn't find anything. So I've spent most of today making canes but I have more to make before I start using them. How do I store them? I have some plastic food storage boxes to put them in but do I wrap the canes in something first?
Also, I plan to make some vessels and use the canes around the outside. Has anyone ever made a coil pot with polymer?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Storing canes for using later
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
It's probably better to wrap canes individually because they'll stick together otherwise....l cut up the sandwich bags that are Press'n'Seal type...you know, the ones with a strangely sticky green top edge, not the ziplock type.  I just cut the plastic into a suitable size for each cane.  (Actually l find that plastic invaluable...smoothing edges, using on top of rolled out clay before using a cookie cutter, etc)

Then pop them in a box - translucent plastic like most food boxes these days should be fine for storing clay - don't use any made of hard, transparent brittle sort of plastic.   As the canes are wrapped it should be ok but you never know!

Depending on how long it is till you use the canes they will tend to get slightly firm and it's a good idea to treat them with care, softening them gently in your hands, rather than slicing them immediately.  Slices from a rather firmed-up cane can be a bit brittle.....

I'm sure somebody somewhere will have made a coil pot with polymer clay!  My inclination would be to make it inside or over a bowl or something because l doubt it would support its own weight during baking...or even while building it.  The unsmoothed coils on the side next to the former would be a design feature  :)

Beadbug

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
Hi, food storage boxes are just fine, but if you're going to store a few canes in the same box (as I do), wrap the individual canes in food bags. I find baking paper is no good for canes or for rolling clay, grease proof is no better. I've never made a coiled pot but I have seen it done on YouTube.

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
As Carrie said, transparent plastic is a no no as it will react with the polymer.  Normally the type of plastic you need to use should have a triangle and number 5 inside it. 

I don't wrap my canes personally, but when I want to keep sheets separate I use baking parchment.  I also use baking parchment when I want to smooth shapes into other polymer, using a roller but not rolling, more of a rubbing action.

A word of warning, when I started with polymer I made canes like a demon.  I have about 3 large compartment boxes full.

Most of these when I now try to use them go very crumbly.  Which is pretty upsetting when you see all the clay you can't use.  So beware they may not keep for a long time.

Others have had more luck but I think when the clay companies reformulated to remove phthalates, something that helped to keep the clay soft also went.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
I've always wrapped mine in a bit of baking paper and then into a plastic box.

As mentioned, the flexible tupperware type boxes with recycle code 5 are best. The hard, clear plastics are eaten by polymer clay in a spectacular way.

I actually store my (mostly) wrapped canes in the wrong type of plastic box and every now and then one escapes its paper and melds itself to the box wall in a sticky mess. I know better, but I am too appathetic to do anything about it.

But you are young and new and can do things properly from the get go!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies